Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

R4/M3S Commander 1.07 released

Management software

TrolleyDave has released version 1.07 of his R4 DS / M3 DS Simply Commander software. Lots of crucial bug fixes this time!
TrolleyDave said:
OK after the disaster that was v1.06(a) here is a fully
working version which I’ve numbered v1.07. It’s been
a nightmare of a day with the program but after much
swearing and threats of violence to the PC it’s (and
some actual coding) it’s all working now.

The only new addition really is it prompts for an ok
when you exit the program from 1.06, but as I’ve
removed the 1.06 post I’ll post the 1.06 changes as
well.

Again I can’t apologize enough for the disaster that
was 1.06 but things like this are just the story of my
life! Anyway enjoy 1.07, the workin 1.06!

V1.07

—–

- Now prompts for confirmation on exit!

- Lots and lots of bug fixes!
download.gif
Source and Download

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
lol Yep, the PC is fine! I came pretty close to throwing it out the window though! I'm updating the program to v1.08 later on today which will be my final one for a little while. It fixes the problem that some people were having when it started up on a brand new installation.

Plus I've also created actual installation exes so it should be easier for people to install as well, plus it means the program goes in the start menu rather than on the desktop.

Cheers for everybodies help and support!

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On your page you wrote that someone said that you need Vista running it in compatibility mode as an administrator.

I have UAC turned off, which means the administrator part is unnecessary, but I haven't had to put it into any XP compatibility mode to get it to work, so I believe if you have UAC on, the run as administrator option should suffice, without putting it into XP compatibility mode.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1.08 is working fine, no more hang-up except when I tried to backup my saves already present on the microSD card.
Maybe it can only backups the games/saves uploaded using M3S Commander, not manually.

I have to close Commander in order to use it again.
Anyway this software is a good idea
smile.gif

Siio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know what this commander does, but I can't help but ask myself what is the point to it? The R4DS is a drag and drop cart. Meaning you just put your ROMs on your SD card and that's it. No offence or anything here, but what is the point to this software?

altec20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most useful feature for me with this software is the trimming function.
The Trim Rom tool provided by the official R4 site only trims one file at a time.
With the R4 commander, you can put all your roms and trim them at once. No more open file/trim rom/open file/trim rom...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I know what this commander does, but I can't help but ask myself what is the point to it?  The R4DS is a drag and drop cart.  Meaning you just put your ROMs on your SD card and that's it.  No offence or anything here, but what is the point to this software?

The point is about more than just playing roms on the R4. Do you install skins or homebrew on your R4?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
On your page you wrote that someone said that you need Vista running it in compatibility mode as an administrator.

I have UAC turned off, which means the administrator part is unnecessary, but I haven't had to put it into any XP compatibility mode to get it to work, so I believe if you have UAC on, the run as administrator option should suffice, without putting it into XP compatibility mode.

Nice one mate! I'll put this up on the blog in a mo, thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have one suggestion based on issues that my system has (ie not with the program).

My DS backups are located on a USB harddrive. I'm using a separate USB cardreader to copy to the microSD. For reasons I'm not quite sure of, sometimes my system will remount both the USB reader and USB harddrive in the middle of heavy usage of both. When this happens in the middle of copying them over using R4 commander, I get an "I/O Error 32" which I assume basically means that the file it was copying disappeared. The program doesn't crash immediately after this, it just doesn't let me click on buttons anymore, or scroll up in the list.

Because of this, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a feature that automatically saved the ROM list before copying and updated it after every successful ROM, and maybe if the ROM list wasn't completely copied correctly, to auto-load it at the next run of the program.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I have one suggestion based on issues that my system has (ie not with the program).

My DS backups are located on a USB harddrive. I'm using a separate USB cardreader to copy to the microSD. For reasons I'm not quite sure of, sometimes my system will remount both the USB reader and USB harddrive in the middle of heavy usage of both. When this happens in the middle of copying them over using R4 commander, I get an "I/O Error 32" which I assume basically means that the file it was copying disappeared. The program doesn't crash immediately after this, it just doesn't let me click on buttons anymore, or scroll up in the list.

Because of this, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a feature that automatically saved the ROM list before copying and updated it after every successful ROM, and maybe if the ROM list wasn't completely copied correctly, to auto-load it at the next run of the program.

That's just a damned good idea in general! I'll add that into the next release.

Siio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know what this commander does, but I can't help but ask myself what is the point to it? The R4DS is a drag and drop cart. Meaning you just put your ROMs on your SD card and that's it. No offence or anything here, but what is the point to this software?

The point is about more than just playing roms on the R4. Do you install skins or homebrew on your R4?

I sure do. I never once thought about using a GUI that I already don't have to get it done either. Skins just get dropped into their respective folders as does homebrew. Unless this commander is much easier then hitting ctrl+c/v to copy stuff over to your SD card I need to ask again. What is the point of this software?

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For me, I use it because all of my backups are zipped. I can use zipped backups, which it opens up, trims, and then copies a big list of games to my card, rather than having to unzip them all manually, trim one at a time, and then copy them.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I know what this commander does, but I can't help but ask myself what is the point to it?  The R4DS is a drag and drop cart.  Meaning you just put your ROMs on your SD card and that's it.  No offence or anything here, but what is the point to this software?

I sure do. I never once thought about using a GUI that I already don't have to get it done either. Skins just get dropped into their respective folders as does homebrew. Unless this commander is much easier then hitting ctrl+c/v to copy stuff over to your SD card I need to ask again. What is the point of this software?

It depends on whether you consider clicking on the name of a file and clicking install (and getting a preview of the skin, which you wouldn't do unless you kept all your skins unarchived in seperate folders) is easier then unpacking an archive to a seperate folder, checking to see that it's the one you want, highlighting all the files, hitting ctrl-c, opening the _system_ folder on your MicroSD and then hitting ctrl-v.

There's plenty of uses for plenty of people, you're obviously just not one of them. If you don't like don't use it, simple as that really. What I don't see the point of is that you spend time out of your life to berate something that somebody has written to help people out just because you personally don't have a use for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.