R4/M3S Commander 1.07 released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Apr 8, 2007.

Apr 8, 2007
  1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom

R4/M3S Commander 1.07 released

Management software

[​IMG]
    TrolleyDave has released version 1.07 of his R4 DS / M3 DS Simply Commander software. Lots of crucial bug fixes this time!
    [​IMG] Source and Download

2. hevyhomie

Newcomer hevyhomie Member

United States
    thanks so much for your valiant effort [​IMG] very nice software indeed(now that i can actually use it [​IMG] )
    btw is your computer ok? :'(

3. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    lol Yep, the PC is fine! I came pretty close to throwing it out the window though! I'm updating the program to v1.08 later on today which will be my final one for a little while. It fixes the problem that some people were having when it started up on a brand new installation.

Plus I've also created actual installation exes so it should be easier for people to install as well, plus it means the program goes in the start menu rather than on the desktop.

Cheers for everybodies help and support!

4. Ghaleon1982

Member Ghaleon1982 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So what dose this program do? I've been thinking about getting a R4 also what about dipstar?? Seen it mentioned lol

5. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    R4 Commander is management for an R4/M3SDS device. Dipstar only works with compatible slot 2s (I believe it is a gba thing)

6. jhoff80

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    On your page you wrote that someone said that you need Vista running it in compatibility mode as an administrator.

I have UAC turned off, which means the administrator part is unnecessary, but I haven't had to put it into any XP compatibility mode to get it to work, so I believe if you have UAC on, the run as administrator option should suffice, without putting it into XP compatibility mode.

7. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    1.08 is out already!

8. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    thanks a lot dave 1.08 is perfect

9. poloman

Member poloman GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i'll give this a try - sounds good and if it makes handling all my roms easier, i'm all for it!

10. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    1.08 is working fine, no more hang-up except when I tried to backup my saves already present on the microSD card.
    Maybe it can only backups the games/saves uploaded using M3S Commander, not manually.

I have to close Commander in order to use it again.
    Anyway this software is a good idea [​IMG]

11. Siio

Newcomer Siio Member

United States
    I know what this commander does, but I can't help but ask myself what is the point to it? The R4DS is a drag and drop cart. Meaning you just put your ROMs on your SD card and that's it. No offence or anything here, but what is the point to this software?

12. altec20

Newcomer altec20 Newbie

United States
    The most useful feature for me with this software is the trimming function.
    The Trim Rom tool provided by the official R4 site only trims one file at a time.
    With the R4 commander, you can put all your roms and trim them at once. No more open file/trim rom/open file/trim rom...

13. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    The point is about more than just playing roms on the R4. Do you install skins or homebrew on your R4?

14. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Nice one mate! I'll put this up on the blog in a mo, thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

15. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    You don't know how good that is to hear after what happened with 1.06! lol

And no probs for the program, just glad it comes in handy to someone other than me! [​IMG]

16. jhoff80

United States
    I have one suggestion based on issues that my system has (ie not with the program).

My DS backups are located on a USB harddrive. I'm using a separate USB cardreader to copy to the microSD. For reasons I'm not quite sure of, sometimes my system will remount both the USB reader and USB harddrive in the middle of heavy usage of both. When this happens in the middle of copying them over using R4 commander, I get an "I/O Error 32" which I assume basically means that the file it was copying disappeared. The program doesn't crash immediately after this, it just doesn't let me click on buttons anymore, or scroll up in the list.

Because of this, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a feature that automatically saved the ROM list before copying and updated it after every successful ROM, and maybe if the ROM list wasn't completely copied correctly, to auto-load it at the next run of the program.

17. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    That's just a damned good idea in general! I'll add that into the next release.

18. Siio

Newcomer Siio Member

United States
    I sure do. I never once thought about using a GUI that I already don't have to get it done either. Skins just get dropped into their respective folders as does homebrew. Unless this commander is much easier then hitting ctrl+c/v to copy stuff over to your SD card I need to ask again. What is the point of this software?

19. jhoff80

United States
    For me, I use it because all of my backups are zipped. I can use zipped backups, which it opens up, trims, and then copies a big list of games to my card, rather than having to unzip them all manually, trim one at a time, and then copy them.

20. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    It depends on whether you consider clicking on the name of a file and clicking install (and getting a preview of the skin, which you wouldn't do unless you kept all your skins unarchived in seperate folders) is easier then unpacking an archive to a seperate folder, checking to see that it's the one you want, highlighting all the files, hitting ctrl-c, opening the _system_ folder on your MicroSD and then hitting ctrl-v.

There's plenty of uses for plenty of people, you're obviously just not one of them. If you don't like don't use it, simple as that really. What I don't see the point of is that you spend time out of your life to berate something that somebody has written to help people out just because you personally don't have a use for it.