r4 all games work!!

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by kingkong, Nov 11, 2008.

Nov 11, 2008

r4 all games work!! by kingkong at 2:20 PM (7,472 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. kingkong
    OP

Banned kingkong Banned

dunno why sum people keep saying "dont buy r4!!!"

its like r4 is the new scientology.

i have tried all top50 ds games according to ign, gamerankings and threads in this forum.

and all work flawlessly.

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Have you tried running an unpatched Sonic Chronicles? That definitely doesn't work on a standard R4 firmware. There's quite a few games that don't run without patching first.

3. PyroJames

Member PyroJames GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    @kingkong

Actually, I know that some games do need the arm7 patch in order to work on R4. Aside from this, R4 does indeed work. The problem that most people see in [genuine] R4 is that it is not SDHC-compatible and the firmware doesn't have a lot of features that you would find in the newer flashcarts.

4. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    It's not that the R4 is bad.. it's that there's better carts out there. Simple as that. R4 sucks compared to other carts but it's still awesome. It's all relative.

5. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    People are saying don't buy the R4 because iit has stopped being manufactured ages ago and its to the point that if you go out and buy an R4 now, its most likely a clone. Also the R4 Team has abandoned the R4, so expect no more updates for it. Meaning if a game comes out that won't play and can't be patched, you are out of luck. The R4DS only has about a 90% compatibility rate and many newer games coming out now need to be patched to even work.

On top of that, the R4DS does not have any of the "advance" features many flashcards today have, even those cheaper than the R4DS including SDHC support. Also the cheat support for the R4DS is sub par as well, it doesn't support many code types, it limits the number of games and codes being displayed and extremely buggy.

Also the R4DS clones have a high chance of corrupting your Micro SD cards as well as bricking your Nintendo DS compared to normal flashcards whose developers actually put effort into making a flashcard with decent quality.

Now come on, who in their right mind would buy a discontinued flashcard that has no hope of ever being updated agaun while you can find cheaper flashcards of equal or better build quality with more support than the R4DS will ever have? Yes, the R4DS was good in its time, it was at one point the top flashcard on the market but that isn;t the case anymore. While it still is a "decent" flashcard, I don't suggest go buying one at this point in time while there are better flashcards out there.

6. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Lots, lots of people.
    The "R4" is pretty much the ignorant term for most people, I've had a lot of people ask me what's on my R4, and shown them it was a Cyclo, they didn't know what it was.
    One student in my drawing class has an R4 V3, she didn't even realise she had bought a fake.

Hell, when I was buying my new phone at phones4u, one guy walked up to me whilst I waited, playing my DS, and asked what I had on my R4, I showed him it was a Cyclo, it could do things like Slow-mo, hold even more data than an R4, have an in-game menu, etc, and he was "real chuffed", like, the 3 people that were hanging around me all saw that the Cyclo was the card to get. [​IMG]
    He even laughed when I told him I buy my games, asking why when I have a "dodgy thing" like my flash cart, hah.

7. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Games I KNOW ... DON'T work on an ORIGINAL R4 not a clone ..without patching using 1.18 kernel

IMAGINE TEACHERS

SONIC CHRONICLES

CARNIVAL GAMES

DRIVING THEORY TRAINING

THE INCREDIBLE HULK

THINK KIDS

MORE from SCORPEI wiki

Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir (u) Crashes when useing the X-ray function later on during the game

Teenage Zombies (U)(SQUiRE) freezes in 1.18 but lasts longer before freezing. 10-15 minutes

Nanashi no Game (J)(iND) Needs cheat file enabled or will not load

Dragon Quest V - Hand of the Heavenly Bride (J) Error generation in chapter of start. THE bug that doesn't adhere to the port occurs if it takes the ship. with 1.18

Brain Age 2 : More Daily Brain Training (K) Doesn't work properly, freezes one time on two (50%) in main menu.

Cid to Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure no Meikyuu DS Plus (J) needs HEX fix found on this forum!

I make that 12 games and theres a few more and no doubt more to come too!

8. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I think the point was, who in there right mind that KNOWS about all the disadvantages would still buy it when theres cheaper ones out there.

9. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    the problem about the R4 is that it became too famous that it is even being used as a replacement term for "flashcart".
    So people new to the flashcart scene would think the R4 is the best out there.

10. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    If you ask me, they're simply not aware that there are other options, possibly cheaper, most likely better.

Surprisingly, a lot of people are satisfied with a bare bones product, which is why a dead product is still doing so well.
    Be thankful it's the R4 that's targeted explicitly by Nintendo, hell, if the Cyclo got popular like the R4 did, that'd be bad.

11. jessicarabbit

Newcomer jessicarabbit Advanced Member

United States
    I think I might have to get a different card soon. I've started playing Million Heir recently. Is there a card that lets me transfer my R4 save file? Or would I have to start all over?

12. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

Your in luck practically ALL flash cards use the .SAV file format so all you need to do remove the R4 system files and replace them with your new flash cards system files [​IMG]

best way so you don't make a mistake or loose anything.. when you get a new flash card would be to copy all your game files along with the saves into a folder on your desktop.

then format your mem card and install the new cards system files...

then copy all the folder full of your game files and saves back onto your newly prepared mem card [​IMG]

13. kingkong
    OP

Banned kingkong Banned

14. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Those aren't real updates. Those are not from the R4 Team. They are from the makers of the R4 clones who are using the R4 name hoping to get an easy dollar by riding the R4 popularity by seeling cheaply made flashcards that have a high chance of corrupting your MicroSD card or bricking your DS.

All these updates are basically hex edits of the real R4 1.18 firmware. None of the clone manufacturers have the source code to the R4 firmware meaning all they are doing is hex editing the official firmware in attempt to add "updates". This means they are very limited in what they can do and add. Tey can't add any new features and they can only add minor compatibility fixes at best. Some of these "updates" don't even change a thing and they are just there to show, to fool people into believeing the R4 is still alive and kicking.

Trust me on this, I have an original R4DS myself and I have been keeping track of the R4DS scene and flashcard developments. Stay away from any flashcard that has R4 in its name, the cards do not have a future at all. Some

15. kingkong
    OP

Banned kingkong Banned

i used to follow gba scene a lot.... the ds i only bought just now, and so the flashcard too. as i can play all top50 games this is enough for me really, and also for most normal people i think.

not all are such hardcore freaks who need to play every ds game the minute after its pred.

but ok i now agree with you guys that it would make more sense to buy a different card now.

thanks guys.

16. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    no need to get a different cart if you already have the R4. Once it seems like you can't use it anymore, that's when you get something else

17. jessicarabbit

Newcomer jessicarabbit Advanced Member

United States
    Ah ok. I thought I read that the cyclo ds didn't save the save files to the sd card or something like that. I swear sometimes I read so much about something my head can't hold it all.

18. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I think threads like this are just made to start a flame war!

I mean kingkong has been here since 2005 and should know what all the rest of us do, yep just another stir thread.

I mean for god sakes the R4 is DEAD already, no genuine ones left all fakes and no updates for 4 or so months now and no chance ever again of an update.

paul

19. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    dear mates,

it's all about "time and place"isn't it. I bought my R4 when there wasn't much else on offer. It was a fantastic card and everybody raved about it. Well, it still does the job I want it to do. So why should I need another card. Because they have some extra features? It really is a useless discussion. Buy what you want, but don't complain about what you're getting free anyway. Jesus, why do I always keep nipping in these discussions??? I really should be smarter than that

20. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Above quote from kingkong, whats wrong with that statement?

Ill leave it for who ever answers next to say, and that's where i get annoyed!

paul