Quickly needs advice! About Computers

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Slyakin, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    Okay, it's 6 a.m. and the Apple Store is going to open up for the first time in my town. I was considering getting a computer for high school (long story short, I go to an advanced section that only accepts 40 students, and I work on research and go to college and do more research and blah blah blah) and I was considering getting a MacBook. Just a MacBook. Is it worth it? I have the money, but my parents... well, they aren't TOO supportive. I can pay for it and the software, but they make me feel guilty.

Any advice?

2. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Apr 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    SCUMM Bar
    Well, buy a normal laptop with the same specs, but maybe less battery life, and it will be 2 times cheaper.

3. Skyline969

Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Nov 18, 2008
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    This. However, if you want something that's "idiot-proof" (won't get viruses, doesn't easily die, etc) then Macs are your way to go. But since you seem like a smart kid, what with going to a private school and all, just buy a computer with the same specs (I recommend Asus for a brand) for half the price. Or, for the same price, one that will run circles around a Mac.

4. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    I don't know, but the MacBook is the only computer that really has ever appealed to me. Other ones... Eh.

5. Talaria

Talaria ...

Jan 31, 2007
    New Zealand
    Make a Pro's and Con's list. Write down all the reasons for why you want the macbook and then think about whether its worth it when compared to a PC notebook with same specs at a cheaper price. It's your money, at the end of the day it's up to you.

6. scrtmstr

scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2009
    Netherlands
    the Netherregions!
    this.
    just get one with windows for a lot less. It'll be compatible with most games, unlike the mac. (not that you'll game very often)

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    "Okay, it's 6 a.m. and the Apple Store is going to open up for the first time in my town"

As a rule never make big buying decisions as far as technology goes on what amounts to a whim. Similarly how pretty something is should be a best second consideration with specs/features and the like coming first.

I do not really like laptops though so I will bow out here after saying the others are onto something.