Quickly needs advice! About Computers

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Slyakin, Jul 24, 2010.

Jul 24, 2010
  1. Slyakin
    OP

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Okay, it's 6 a.m. and the Apple Store is going to open up for the first time in my town. I was considering getting a computer for high school (long story short, I go to an advanced section that only accepts 40 students, and I work on research and go to college and do more research and blah blah blah) and I was considering getting a MacBook. Just a MacBook. Is it worth it? I have the money, but my parents... well, they aren't TOO supportive. I can pay for it and the software, but they make me feel guilty.

Any advice?

2. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Well, buy a normal laptop with the same specs, but maybe less battery life, and it will be 2 times cheaper.

3. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    This. However, if you want something that's "idiot-proof" (won't get viruses, doesn't easily die, etc) then Macs are your way to go. But since you seem like a smart kid, what with going to a private school and all, just buy a computer with the same specs (I recommend Asus for a brand) for half the price. Or, for the same price, one that will run circles around a Mac.

4. Slyakin
    OP

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I don't know, but the MacBook is the only computer that really has ever appealed to me. Other ones... Eh.

5. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    Make a Pro's and Con's list. Write down all the reasons for why you want the macbook and then think about whether its worth it when compared to a PC notebook with same specs at a cheaper price. It's your money, at the end of the day it's up to you.

6. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    this.
    just get one with windows for a lot less. It'll be compatible with most games, unlike the mac. (not that you'll game very often)

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "Okay, it's 6 a.m. and the Apple Store is going to open up for the first time in my town"

As a rule never make big buying decisions as far as technology goes on what amounts to a whim. Similarly how pretty something is should be a best second consideration with specs/features and the like coming first.

I do not really like laptops though so I will bow out here after saying the others are onto something.