Quickest possible hack?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Blaze163, Jun 27, 2012.

Jun 27, 2012

Quickest possible hack? by Blaze163 at 10:08 AM (1,361 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho!

I got a question for you. What's the quickest it's even remotely possible to hack a PS3 or the Xbox 360 assuming you have the necessary resources? The swiftest its possible to hack a system, how its done, etc. Would be very helpful. Don't worry, I'm not a cop. Honestly.

Also if anyone can hack these systems in under ten minutes and they're looking for a job, gimme a shout. My boss might want to hear from you.

2. jing90

Member jing90 GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    if your ps3 is on firmware 3.55 you just need to install a cfw and multiman which doesn't take long.
    if it's over 3.55 you need to check if you can downgrade it and buy a downgrader first

3. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    So given the best possible scenario, what is the fastest possible time to hack a PS3? What's the 'world record', so to speak?

4. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Xbox 360:

Find a way to power the Disc drive, and use a PC's Sata port in order to extract a unique drive key. Sign a CFW with it, and then flash the CFW to the drive. There are also devices that help if you don't have the right Sata chipset, such as the Maximus 360 Lizard, and X360USB Pro. (You can find my review of it in the Official Review Section.) Pretty straight forward, some drives may require a little extra attention such as Lite-On drives, Slim drives, etc. Which require a probe, and other tools. Doesn't take long at all if you know what you're doing.

Same amount of time it takes to install a PS3 update. I'd say 5-10 minutes.

5. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    My boss says if you can prove it's hackable in less than ten minutes he'll give you a job.

6. Devin

United States
    PS3:

Xbox:

Edit: I want casual Fridays, and a hourly coffee break.

7. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sent the links to my boss. That'll be extremely helpful, thanks Devin. One final question then. Are there any ways to tell that a system is hacked when playing against it online? Any defence measures against them?

8. osm70

Member osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Czech Republic
    Not sure about XBOX 360, but you cant play online with hacked PS3.

9. Devin

United States
    For PS3, you can't play online. (Unless you dual boot CFW, and OFW. Downgrade to 3.55 when you want CFW, and update to the latest OFW for online.) (No hacks, or downloaded games for OFW though. Works like a normal PS3.)

For Xbox 360, you can. The best measure would be to patch the game ISOs with a program called "ABGX360" which stealth patches the games before burning them to a disc. Making them as safe as possible for online.

Not a problem, feel free to post here or send me a PM if you have any more questions.

EDIT: FAST would able to expand on a few things, as this is the major gist to me of modding the systems.

10. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    So the PS3 isn't much of a threat then in terms of people hacking in to online games to cheat? Sounds to me like the 360 could be a major problem though.

11. Devin

United States
    Right, neither is the 360. It's not hacked wide open like the Wii, unless you do some complicated things such as flashing the NAND, soldering, etc to JTAG/RGH it. The method I posted before, is just for playing burned games. The most cheating you'll get in a game is ISO modifications. (Call Of Duty: WaW, 4, Dead Island, Portal 2.) These are easily, and almost always patched sooner or later. However games not supported anymore, are not. (COD: WaW, and 4 are full of modders online.)

12. jing90

Italy
    on ps3 you can currently play online on cfw (with PSoN or f**kPSN) but usually they create a new update just to block it
    also there have been reports of ban if you use cheats

you can't really tell if you are playing with someone on cfw,

13. Devin

United States
    Oh they have? I heard something about restoring PSN activities, wasn't sure if it was restricted to the Store or online games. I'll have to look into it, unless Sony throw out a new update soon.

14. jing90

Italy
    at first rebug sproofed online play but that has been blocked with the last update (fw 4.20)
    f**kpsn requires a pc to use (not sure how this works...)
    PSoN has just been released by an Italian team and it works without problem. (it uses the passphrase found by rebug)

15. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    So these things DO happen but they get dealt with pretty swiftly? We're looking in to keeping the games we run secure and fair. So how do we at least keep the incidents of hackers getting into our games to a reasonable minimum?

16. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Having read some of Blaze's other posts this is more for competitive games and the potential for cheating there Devin. Back on topic things have changed from the likes of the PS2 and GC where if you hacked the console you owned it.

The PS3 (slightly less when it was first hacked but Sony have somehow managed to get a handle on things which for the extent of the hack I am quite impressed by or perhaps shocked that people did not pursue futher) does not seem to have many options right now but I neither play online games nor participate in online hacking or even much of the PS3. At the time though the developers seemed to rely on Sony's protection rather than any game level measures and I am not sure what, if anything, new games or updates to old games allowed for.

As for the 360 DVD flashing itself and things related to it.... there have been some hacks like disc swapping/hard drive injection for some of the Call of Duty games and theoretically there are some game save hacks for games like Borderlands as any contests there would tend towards min maxed builds of end game content anyway (it is the pokemon thing all over again of needing someone of approximately similar level) and save hacking can not realistically exceed end game content abilities not to mention the deathmatch stuff there is token at best and I am not sure how well speedrun contests work these days.
    The other hacks of reset glitch hack (RGH) and JTAG hacks did allow for cheating online as they allowed for truly modded content which DVD flashing alone does not but MS has largely taken care of the online thing (at first you would have a couple of hours before being banned, swap a keyvault and get back on, MS updated dashes and that meant new hacks for those had to be made which they were, MS then got banning down to a fine art (less than 20 minutes) and keyvaults are hard, if not impossible, to change these days, and I do not think there is even a current hack to allow those 20 minutes.
    To that end if you control the host DVD/hard drive modding will probably not change anything (I do not think "infection" type arrangements apply any more) but if they did I can probably flash a drive in less than ten minutes (I try not to rush by I average about 4 minutes from go to testing) and worse than that for you would be that it does not matter as it is quite possible to have a stock drive and have a modded one sitting beside it to swap out and that is a 30 second job if you want it to be.

If however you are doing system link games (which on the 360 necessitate JTAG/RGH for anything other than the host if you are not on a LAN or the same ring on a ISP with cabinet level switching) all bets are off.

Other hacks. I have seen people make lag switches (or constantly drop the connection and reconnect in game as most games will attempt to keep players in a game as long as possible) or flood their network so as to have higher ping rates. Some consider this an advantage as the ping negation tends to break down after about 150ms for a good system (it can get you out of a tight spot as nobody can hit you thanks to ping prediction).

Modded controllers (I am looking mainly at the 360 but it could well apply to the PS3 as well). MS supposedly did something the last update although I am not sure how that might work if someone with basic electrical knowledge should appear (oh did the button get pressed exactly every so many milliseconds, how about adding some jitter). Here people would do things like attach rapid fire triggers to games (not sure how that helps for anything other than a broken game but this does supposedly include the likes of COD if you are dual wielding semi autos or maybe timed reloads on gears of war), remap buttons (personally I have no objection to this and anybody that extends their definition of purity that far... yeah), mod the controller to be more comfortable to them and in the later cases make it so they could play with a keyboard and mouse*. I have not seen proper proper mods here or anything automated other than some of the automatic guitar hero or the gears of war timed reloads.

*this is tricky. First raw keyboard and mouse for an FPS will beat raw controller every time (it is one of the biggest reasons there is no PC- console crossover to speak of) so raw controller tends to include a bit of aim assistance and variable movement on the stick. Alas aim assistance and variable movement tends to screw up mouse controls. However each of those is a basic mathematical function or otherwise can be determined so you then got profiles for various games to negate this assistance (it works fairly well but hide everything under a desk and graphics aside I am confident anyone versed in a PC will be able to tell the difference).

Of course on top of all this you have basic game theory- depending on the payout matrix and cost of entry (if I can add spectators as you were asking about which will probably be free or at worst token payment my nice ghost can tell people where everybody is and that might be an advantage) if I can stack a few of my friends in a game/ladder I can tip the game and done properly you will probably never even know (I fire wide, slow my reactions by half a second, take "unnecessary" risks, tank my team's sniper.... and the other team which would be level pegged by this point will get a few extra points for my having a "bad game", not paying attention or "being tired" and for a single player deathmatch well three players of approximately equal skills on an equal game will see one utterly unable to compete if the other two gang up) but we are leaving the technical discussion now.

17. DarkenSX

Newcomer DarkenSX Advanced Member

United States
    Does anyone else see this as being a tad odd if he is not 1. a cop 2. does not work for sony or microsoft.
    Especially the " We're looking in to keeping the games we run secure and fair. So how do we at least keep the incidents of hackers getting into our games to a reasonable minimum?" Part Who ask how to hack a system then states that sounds like someone trying to undo the progress we have made so far..... Spy Sappin Our Hacks!

18. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Honestly, to me it sounds like he's working for/with a Dev and the Dev is looking for ways to keep their games secure from online modding, even if the system necessarily isn't. Checking if the game is being played with a backup or original copy might be hard, but as far as assuring non-softmodded game play (hardmods like rapid fire might be harder), some server side pre-match checking from all clients against a server held "safe" copy with hashes of stuff like maps, weapon and model files, and core game files might help weed out those who have modded games.