Hacking Quick Questions for my Wii

ayojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I was wondering if someone could help me with some simple questions based on all the buzz happening because of 4.2.

I need to update my Wii Shop Channel, I've heard about WiiSCU and WiiShop/IOS61 Installer. I've also heard that it sometimes doesn't work for people.

1. Which one should I use? Will it cause me to have 2 Shop Channels?
2. Is it guaranteed to work?
3. Will this mess with my Wii in any way since it's an updated channel on an older firmware?
4. What's the point of updating the News/Forecast Channel? Should I update them and other channels? Will this cause duplicate channels?

While installing HBC 1.05 I accidentally installed the new DVDX without uninstalling my old one, will this mess up anything and/or does it overwrite the previous one? Was that a bad move?

Any Disadvantages as to still being on 4.0? I heard 4.2 has a faster system menu but I doubt I'll ever get that.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
For DVDX, not bad, its gonna be fine. Having both will take up more room but will also give you more functionality.

1). No, it will not and I recommend you do WAD installs. There are issues with people stubbing because WiiSCU always gets the latest IOS60 and then bricking their Wii. Just get v17 of Wii Shop Channel and the latest IOS61 and install.

2). It will work, don't worry. You might need a trucha bugged IOS60 btw.

3). If IOS60 is trucha bugged, no. If it isn't, it still shouldn't matter, the channel might just not work.

4). If you want them to work, update. If not, then you shouldn't care. It won't cause duplicates because of title ID's.

ayojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just install Wii Shop v17 and latest IOS61 as WADs? Or should I actually use the installer app for it? Hopefully this is fairly simple and quick. If you can provide the most up to date and trusted guide that would be great.

How much more room will the DVDXs take up? I think I installed my last DVDx with HackMii 0.2 so if I just use that and hit "uninstall DVDx" will that uninstall the old one, and i'll just have the newest one left?

I patched my IOS using this process so I believe my IOS60 is trucha-patched.

By the way, how safe is it to update system menus the homebrew way? I always think it leaves out a lot of stuff that could make the Wii incompatible if you try to update by Nintendo after updating through homebrew methods.

If I ever were to update by Nintendo again, should I uninstall everything first? Like StartPatch mods, CIOS, etc..?

I really appreciate this man. Thanks a lot for dealing with me.

KaiWren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wouldn't update through ninty, ever...
also, using WiiSCU, you might get the upside down homebrew channel thing, if you happen to get that, download IOS61 with NUSD, and pack it as a wad. installing that fixes it.

ayojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KaiWren said:
I just wouldn't update through ninty, ever...
also, using WiiSCU, you might get the upside down homebrew channel thing, if you happen to get that, download IOS61 with NUSD, and pack it as a wad. installing that fixes it.
What upside down hbc thing?

ayojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
illinialex24 said:
Thats because you trucha signed it. Say no to trucha people.

And the extra DVDx is like 9 blocks.

Homebrew way is very safe.

IOS60 should be the only trucha signed thing besides 36 maybe.
Okay so I'm confused, what should I do to update my shop channel, and how do I get rid of the old DVDx that came with HackMii installer 0.2?

Thanks for helping again, I really appreciate it.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just run the AnyTitleDeleter and remove the DVDX title to delete the old DVDx.

Also, use NUS Downlaoder to get v17 of the wad and install it through the wad manager to get the latest wad manager.

ayojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
illinialex24 said:
Just run the AnyTitleDeleter and remove the DVDX title to delete the old DVDx.

Also, use NUS Downlaoder to get v17 of the wad and install it through the wad manager to get the latest wad manager.

Which DVDX out of the two do I delete?

Don't I also need the latest IOS61, so where can I get that? I mean doesn't the Wii Shop/IOS61 Installer do all of this together?

Should I also update my News/Forecast Channel? They're working properly right now so is there any reason to update those since I'm on firmware 4.0

If I ever wanted to update my System Menu in any way, would StartPatch patches being left on (instead of uninstalling) mess up future updates or system menus?

Really, THANK YOU.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure, the title ID you want to delete (I highly recommend you don't delete it due to compatibility issues, most programs won't recognize the new title ID) is DVDX.

Just use the NUS Downloader with the new database to get the new IOS61 and wad install it. I always prefer it over compiled apps, for example, people on 4.0U bricked their Wii using WiiSCU for IOS60 and got the new stub.

I don't think you can update your other two channels, and there is no point.

And when you update, startpatch is removed because the new wad has no patches on it.

ayojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
illinialex24 said:
Not sure, the title ID you want to delete (I highly recommend you don't delete it due to compatibility issues, most programs won't recognize the new title ID) is DVDX.

Just use the NUS Downloader with the new database to get the new IOS61 and wad install it. I always prefer it over compiled apps, for example, people on 4.0U bricked their Wii using WiiSCU for IOS60 and got the new stub.

I don't think you can update your other two channels, and there is no point.

And when you update, startpatch is removed because the new wad has no patches on it.
See now I'm afraid on what to do because NUS Downloader and manually installing Shop v17 and IOS61 sounds a bit complicated..

ayojoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
illinialex24 said:
It isn't, here are the titles you need:

000000010000003D v5405

0001000248414241 v17
Then all I do is install them on the default IOS249 with WAD Manager right? Will these overwrite previous channels?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk