Apple Quick question

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I currently have an iPod Touch 2G on iOS 4, jailbroken.

Soon, I will be getting an iPhone 3GS. I understand nothing above iOS 4 is jailbreakable. So, if it comes with something past that, is it possible to downgrade? Or will I have to wait for a jailbreak to be made?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not everything above 4.0 is unjailbreakable. Only 4.0.2 isn't. So if you get an iPhone with anything below 4.0.2 preinstalled, you'll be fine. And as Alidsl said, an exploit has been found that will jailbreak 4.0.2 and the new firmware, 4.1. So you won't have to wait long for a jailbreak. Also, you will only be able to downgrade to the first firmware you had shsh backed up. So if your iPhone comes with 4.0.2 and you back up your shsh, you will be able at anytime to downgrade to that firmware and anything that has come after.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, shsh's are unique to every device, so you can't use your ipod touch's shsh on your iphone. If that would work, there would never be any issue when an update arrives for jailbreakers; they would just downgrade to another firmware using someone else's shsh blobs. That is why you should back them up as soon as you jailbreak.

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks. Here's another question.

The 3GS I'm buying will be refurbished. This means it may actually come with something lower than 4.0. However, I want 4.0 and I've heard of Apple not letting anyone upgrade except to the latest firmware. Is this true?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah. Every time a new firmware comes out, Apple signs them so you can use it. When a new one comes out, they stop signing the previous ones. So since 4.1 is the newest firmware, Apple has stopped signing 4.0. Since you will get a 3GS, it won't matter if you get 4.1 since it includes all the features of 4.0 and more, and your device is faster anyway.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That won't be long, the exploit has been discovered and confirmed. They just have to make a jailbreak out of that.

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last question:
Is there a way to transfer my apps and save data from my iPod to my new 3gs? Or am I going to have to download everything again and start over? I have a lot of cracked apps and I do not sync to my computer.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cracked apps = [Redacted] = appsync. Appsync allows you to sync your cracked apps with itunes. If you do so, and you jailbreak your iphone and install appsync on that too, you can transfer the cracked apps. I'm not sure if saves and data will transfer too though.

@dwlong: That site seems to sell accesories. I'm not even sure if thet are official. The prices seem low, but don't be surprised if something doesn't work. Some stuff might be knockoffs.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Usually it asks you if you want to transfer your purchases... Are you sure that they didn't sync before? Go in the apps tab in iTunes and check if the apps are there.

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried clicking "File>Transfer purchases" but it only transfers apps I really bought or free ones i got from the app store
EDIT
just found a way to do it. If I continue clicking Transfer Purchases, it'll do them one at at a time. For instance, I click transfer purchases, and it transfers Street Fighter IV over, then I click Transfer Purchases again and it transfers Tetris over. For some reason, it refuses to transfer Puzzle Agent or Pac-man. I don't care much about pac-man, i can just download it again anyway, but I really don't want to do all that stuff in Puzzle Agent again. Help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol