Hacking Quick question does R4 comes in different version?

jikah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am a newbie here and I was wondering is there an english version and chinese version of R4, or is it all just the same (only 1 version for all)?

Thanks!

jikah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So technically I can buy a chinese R4 package and dl the english software to make it the same

as if I buy the english R4, right?

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The version number dictates the functions that are available in the R4. There are different languages that are released at different times. In short, v1.11 will come out with all the same features but with different languages at different times with differences in time changing depending the R4 team.

jikah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am planning to buy an R4, but some sites or dealers just doesn't make known (display on their site) if the R4 is chinese or english or ect. Thats why I asked the question.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ooooooooooh, you're talking about hardware. Well, there is a chinese and english version. You must ask because the Chinese version is physically different from the English version. I don't know if there are other languages that are locked. Maybe the English version supports French, for example? I suspect that because the iQue has character sets, and therefore Chinese games cannot be played on the DS.

illuminarok

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
deleted
r4dshack4yg0.jpg

jikah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, thanks guys!
bow.gif

Soldering is easy enough to do so that I dont have to worry which version i will buy.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can buy a chinese card cheaper, then patch the english kernel to work on the chinese card, its what most of the guys do with them.

If you can search my username, i have a thread that gives the link to the patcher for kernel 1.11 to work with chinese R4.

you drop your _DS_MENU.DAT in the directory with the program
start the program and it will ask if you want to patch it to m3, say NO
next it will ask if you want to patch it work on chinese or japanese, say chinese
finally it will ask if you want to auto dectect sav file size, input whatever you want, i don't change it and just put no.

Then just copy the new _DS_MENU.DAT over to the microsd card with the rest of the kernel your using.

EDIT: link to the post for newest patcher: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=564...ndpost&p=722139

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, thanks guys! 
bow.gif

Soldering is easy enough to do so that I dont have to worry which version i will buy.

All the new ones don't have those spots on them anymore... they have long since been removed...

The M3 bridge was removed, as was the one in the middle, but the one controlling whether it's English or Chinese is STILL there on ALL versions.

You wouldn't want to make an R4DS an M3 Simply anyway.

Well, everything from DealExtreme.com said it didn't work when they shorted the land area's, but i looked into my R4DS and see the area (mine was just ordered about 1month ago so i believe its 3rd gen), i pulled out my solder iron and shorted the land area's together, removed the patched kernel with the original and tried to boot it up...........................SUCCESS!!!! This rocks now, but be warned, they say that warranty is voided if you open the R4DS, but i figure i've had mine long enough to know if its gonna work fine for me. So i figure if you order a chinese card, used patched firmware for atleast a week or so to make sure its gonna work okay for ya.

Thanks for info! Patching was a bit of a hassle anyways!

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, everything from DealExtreme.com said it didn't work when they shorted the land area's, but i looked into my R4DS and see the area (mine was just ordered about 1month ago so i believe its 3rd gen), i pulled out my solder iron and shorted the land area's together, removed the patched kernel with the original and tried to boot it up...........................SUCCESS!!!!

I've examined units ordered from DealExtreme about one month ago and about two months ago, and the ones ordered a month ago seem to have had the R4/M3 and Chinese/English pads in place - and I think had "R6" painted on the board near the "06 48" - the ones ordered a month before that were marked "R5" on the board in that same place, and didn't have ANY of the solder pads, but they weren't potted so someone with a steady hand and some fine wire would have been able to bridge pin 6 up from the bottom on the left of the chip (I *think* that's the one, anyway...) to GND.

I purchased a dark grey English one a while back from a local mail-order supplier (gamerswonder) and that was marked "RC" I think, and has all four sets of pads.

Does anyone have a definitive listing of board revisions and the language and brand variant they were found in?

I haven't had a good look, but they're only double-sided boards rather than multi-layer aren't they?

Are there any through-board connections under the chip, perhaps that are present on the potted or padless versions of the R4 but which aren't present on the versions with the pads? I'm wondering if that's how they do the language and type settings on the padless ones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: sub-50 for a >20k mAh battery with 100w PD charging? Fuckin sold