GCN Quick Gamecube questions...

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello guys, I just bought 3 used Gamecubes at a flea market for about 50dlls for all (A little expensive, since I only have 2 working power sources and 1 video cable, but the 3 controllers make up for it)

I gave away my original platinum one in 2006 when I was supposed to buy a Wii, which I didn't buy until 2009...

I now have 4 perfectly fine Gamecube controllers for future Brawl sessions before we say goodbye and move on to the next generation...

I have only 2 questions:
1. Is it hard to fix an AC adapter? One of them doesn't work, it's generic and has a little LED that flickers and the cube doesn't get any power. I could maybe find a working original one for as little as 5 dollars at the same market.
2. Is there a way to tell if any of the systems has a modchip? They where pretty common here in México, and I'm planning on keeping just 1 and selling the rest, so I wanna know if there's a way to easilly tell them apart and keep that one. If none of them have it, I'll just keep the least scratched one.

Thanks for your time!

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Try looking for broken connections or things like fuses and capacitors.

An imported game is helpful to tell if there's a modchip. Gamecubes are annoying to open and can be picky about reading copies.
Still it's best to use matching region games when available. Modchips have similar compatibility issues as Freeloader, since they don't change the console's setting.

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok, I guess I'm gonna have to look for my Philips screwdriver...

And I think it might be easier to find a blank mini DVD and burn it than an imported game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=XenoGC
There are many more (which that site details) but you often have options to force modes, there may also be some LEDs.

Fixing power supplies.... can't say I have seen why GC ones fail but fixing power supplies is basic electronics repair (assuming you can get the parts which is a pretty big assumption), however you are playing with mains voltage so do not be a complete cowboy. If they have given you a dud one though then you might be better off finding something of the same voltage and same or greater amperage/wattage and just grabbing the end from the dead one; http://www.hardwarebook.info/GameCube_Power says the rounded end is 12V, rated for 3,25 Amps, sadly not laptop voltages but easy enough to turn an old PC power supply into one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox +1