Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
War said:
Oh yeah... I guess I could always use Daemon Tools, huh? Cause now that I think about it, I only have DL DVDs... and I wouldn't wanna waste one on Windows 7 since they're so expensive.

Fair warning, installing Win 7 through either XP or Vista will make the drive letter something other than the C drive. If you want Win 7 to be the C drive when you boot into it, I highly recommend just doing through a bootup rather than within another OS.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Jiggah said:
War said:
Oh yeah... I guess I could always use Daemon Tools, huh? Cause now that I think about it, I only have DL DVDs... and I wouldn't wanna waste one on Windows 7 since they're so expensive.

Fair warning, installing Win 7 through either XP or Vista will make the drive letter something other than the C drive. If you want Win 7 to be the C drive when you boot into it, I highly recommend just doing through a bootup rather than within another OS.
Hm? Please explain. I'm installing it to my D: drive, so are you saying it will change my C: to a different letter?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you install within another OS then when you boot into Win 7, whatever drive you installed Win 7 to won't be the C drive.

Installation within another OS:

While in Vista:
C: - Vista
D: - Win 7

While in Win 7:

Installation from bootup:

While in Vista:

While in Win 7:
C: - Win 7
D: - Vista

I guess it's a personal thing. I like my system drive no matter what OS to be the C drive. It also helps with some programs (usually older) as they default to look and install to the C drive.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Ah okay, I get it now. So if I install from a flash drive, whenever I'm using Windows 7, my D: drive will show as C: and have 19.5 Gigs, and my C: drive will show as D:, right?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Yeah basically the operating system drive gets assigned the c: letter, when you boot in your previous OS that OS's drive will show as C:

Nothing to worry about really.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
juggernaut911 said:
Don't use GParted. it broke my partition to the point where I had to reformat!!!

/warning

Uh...GParted worked for me. Are you sure YOU didn't do something wrong?

Your probably right. I must have misread "destroy" as "shrink". silly me.
mad.gif

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its fairly easy to follow in the installer. Just make sure you arent overwriting any partitions you need.

But remember, the beta runs out eventually (without a crack) and then you will be forced to re-load XP.
You MAY want to avoid this beta, because its seems to take over the MBR and Windows boot loader.

Which renders Linux unbootable until you fix it, and uninstallation of the beta and its boot loaders doesnt look easy at this point. JUST MAKE SURE ALL YOUR DATA IS SAFE/BACKED UP

Just a warning. Although Windows 7 does kick ass, and im using it right now.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MicShadow said:
Its fairly easy to follow in the installer. Just make sure you arent overwriting any partitions you need.

But remember, the beta runs out eventually (without a crack) and then you will be forced to re-load XP.
You MAY want to avoid this beta, because its seems to take over the MBR and Windows boot loader.

You can easily fix that by doing a startup repair from your xp/vista disc.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prime said:
MicShadow said:

You can easily fix that by doing a startup repair from your xp/vista disc.

Yes, I know i can do that. Its just a pain that it always overwrites GRUB. I wish windows was more configurable when it comes to the MBR.

And not every user is comfortable with doing those steps. Ive done it what seems hundreds of times, damn Windows
dry.gif

Kelsey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dual booting is actually really easy.

Download EASEUS Partition Tool
Shrink/Reduce your Main NTFS to around 30 gigs or so
Reboot
Create a new partition from the undistributed space