Questions regarding Galaxy SIII

Discussion in 'Android' started by Langin, Aug 20, 2012.

Aug 20, 2012

Questions regarding Galaxy SIII by Langin at 8:12 PM (1,309 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Langin
    OP

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Hey I have a few questions regarding the Smamsung Galaxy SIII phone:

1. How's the music player? Does it have many options? Like fade in and out?
    2. How do I put music on it? Just copy paste in a directory?
    3. How can I purchase apps?(Trough a credit card or something like that? :O Or something like an iTunes Card(No of course not an iTunes card but as example)
    4. Should I buy a screen protector and a case? Or is it well protected?
    5. Can I deactivate 3G etc. easily?

Thanks! Might add some questions later!

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    1. This varies. Don't like the music player? Download another one.
    2. Just copy-paste into the SD card
    3. You can use a credit card with the google play store.
    4. I'd suggest both for any touchscreen device
    5. Most of the time it's just the touch of a button.

3. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    Sd card? So I need one for music or can I also connect my device to my PC and copy it to my device?

4. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    You'll need one, however all carriers provide one with the device and it's usually 8GB+.

5. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    Ah well that's okay ^^

Thanks!

I hope you don't mind me asking more questions if I have any.

6. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Yeah go ahead, I have lots of answer.

Check out http://www.xda-developers.com as well, they're the #1 spot for Android everything.

7. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Actually you don't absolutely need one, you can put it in your device (16/32GB of internal storage).

1 person likes this.
  8. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Oh shit that's right, the internal storage. Herp. So disregard that post about the sd card then. Totally forgot how massive the storage is >.

9. rad140

Member rad140 GBAtemp's "over quoter"

Canada
    2. You can put music on a microSD card and play music that way OR the SIII also has 16/32 GB of internal storage, so you can hook it up to a PC with a usb cable and transfer over music that way: drag and drop, through a media player,. etc. ninja'd. 2x

3.There's the Google Play store, which is like the Apple App Store (but worse). You can pay for apps with a credit card, though there are many free ones. There are also "unofficial" apps that aren't in the Play store (manga reader Mango, for example). There was a rumour a while back that there were going to be GP gift cards.

4. The glass is Gorilla Glass, so a screen protector is kind of not necessary, unless you play on dropping your phone a lot. I don't like the feel of most screen protectors on touch screens, so it's up to you. The body is made out of plastic, so a case might be a good idea. Depends on how rough abusive you are to your electronics.

5. You can turn 3G/4G/mobile data off, but you're paying for it anyway. There are apps that will let you monitor your data usage and you can set apps to download through Wi-Fi only.

CNET has a pretty good list of the best Android apps in multiple categories. You may want to search for other best-of lists and compare and contrast features between similar apps for your needs.

I also own an Android device, so feel free to ask away.
    There's also rooting and stuff, but I'd say wait to get a feel for Android in general first.

1 person likes this.
  10. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    Rooting? Sorry if I ask but what is rooting?

Also are there emulators for Android I swear I've read about them somewhere...

11. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Rooting is basically giving your Android device administrative access. Some apps (like Titanium Backup [an app that backs up your apps]) require root to be used. Rooting is optional but pretty beneficial as well. Check the xda-developers link I gave for more information.

And yes, there are plenty of emulators for Android. However, most of the good ones aren't on the Google Play Store anymore but luckily you can generally find them online, transfer them to your phone, then install them straight from the SD card.

12. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    Will I lose my warranty by rooting my device?

Also are these emu's illegal? And can I also install these trough my internal storage?

13. rad140

Canada
    http://en.wikipedia....28Android_OS%29 can probably explain it better than I can. Essentially, complete access to every aspect of your phone, usually for the purpose of installing custom ROMs- which are modified firmwares (think different operating systems). Cyanogen is a popular one. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet; play around with Android first, and then if you like messing around with things, consider rooting and roms and the like.

I prefer buttons over touch screens for gaming, so I don't have much experience in using Android emulators.

EDIT: goddamn it Suprgamr.

14. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    Can't you connect to a Wii Remote or something like that? My iOS emu's can tho.

15. rad140

Canada
    Rooting is legal in the USA.... but in terms of warranty, a quick google search seems to be "Yes". It's an advanced/optional feature, but it's not necessary to enjoy your device. It's just there if anyone wants to do it. You can't really do it accidentally if that's what you mean.

Emulation has always been a legal gray area. I'm not entirely sure, but if it has BIOS files included, it's probably illegal. ROMs that you downloaded that aren't copies of your own games are illegal (but everyone does it).
    And yes, just copy them over and install the apk (it's like an .exe for Android)

The SIII has bluetooth, so you can also use a PS3 controller too in addition to a wiimote.

16. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    Thanks for the info! ^^

So I don't need to root for emu's right? How do the emu's runs on the SIII?(GBA will be fine but PSX and N64?)

17. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Sorry to invade your topic, but since we're talking about roms, I'm using the official rom for now, but I think about switching to Cyanogenmod. Are all the Galaxy S III specific functions (S Voice, Smart Stay, S Beam, etc...) still available with Cyanogenmod ?

18. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Play Store gift cards are becoming available (just in the US now, I think).

You don't necessarily pay for data usage if it's not used; you will if it's part of the contract, though.

They wouldn't be; CyanogenMod is a firmware replacement, not an addition. It's based on AOSP (pure Android, such as on a Nexus) plus some other bits.

19. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    If you want to ditch the TouchWiz UI that makes up the Samsung official ROM, you can always try loaders like Nova Launcher, which will boot up a new UI for you to play around with. That way, if you want to get back S Voice or S Beam, you just exit out of the loader (or reset the phone) to get back to TouchWiz which has all the Samsung features.

20. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    You can still access the apps themselves in the App drawer, can you not?

You generally do not need root access to be able to use Emulators. Also, as far as I know, SIII > SII , and it runs great on the SII, so it shouldn't be any problem on the SIII.

Who knows though, you might run into an app you want but you can't use it, because you'd need root access :P