Questions about updating and CFW

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by pengewl421, Jul 24, 2017.

1. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    Hello, I'm trying to get some answers for some questions about updating to 11.5 and installing CFW on my New 3DS. My 3Ds is currently at 11.3.

First off, I already hacked my 3DS and I have homebrew installed with Soundhax (And obviously other games and emulators with it) I wanna install CFW but I don't know if having already homebrew installed if it would affect anything.
    I'm fairly new to 3DS hacking.

My question is: Does updating to 11.5 (or 11.4 as I stated before I am a noob at this stuff), have any more or better benefits then 11.3? And can you even get CFW on these newer versions? And I do want freeshop IF possible. I don't know any other benefits of CFW!

2nd question: Will getting CFW, or updating affect anything I currently have, and is there any way I can keep/update it?

Sorry if I sound noobish. Thanks

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    1) You can get CFW on 11.3 as its more easier opposed to 11.4/11.5. Soundhax is a userland exploit but 11.3 has a kernel exploit. Id ideally tell you to follow https:3ds.guide like anyone else would.
    2) Yes its possible to update with CFW you won't brick/lose it. CFW has many benefits, too many to explain :P - Getting CFW will not affect anything with installing it brick wise, but other things you do yourself e.g playing a game online before release can have a ban imposed.

Anymore questions feel free to ask

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Ok first, if you are having issues installing a CFW, check out The Guide. That's the best place to start and has most of the basic troubleshooting you will ever need.
    If you don't have a hardmod nor a second system, then don't update until you've installed your CFW. 11.3 has a kernel exploit that allows you to install the exploit needed for the CFW to work.
    Once the CFW is installed, it's perfectly fine to update. CFWs don't do anything more than inject patches into the OFW. CFWs also do not effect your current setup.

4. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    Where and how do I install CFW (luma)? I've been trying to find guides (I'm having a hard time on 3ds.guides), and I can't find any tutorials on how to install it. I tried the Safehax but it doesn't even load up. I'm a bit lost

5. Lush

Lush GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2007
    Canada
    https://3ds.guide

There is no better guide...

6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Https://3ds.guide start from the beginning, "Get Started" and follow it in order. If you get stuck on a specific step then ask us.

Majickhat55 likes this.
  7. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    I have done all of the steps, but I was at the LUMA configuration, I went to Settings and it still said Ver. 11.3.0, not Sys. When i try to go to Soundhax, it says "An exception occured" with the ARM11 processor and everything else.
    What did I do wrong and how do I fix this?

edit: Nevermind! I'm stupid

Last edited by pengewl421, Jul 24, 2017
  8. SuongTu

SuongTu Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2011
    I think you are already on CFW, that error only happens when CFW is already existed. I think you forgot to check box one of the settings to show that you are already in CFW.

9. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    When I try to open FBI I get the same error. "An exception occured" I'm very lost.

10. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Where do you get the error? When you open the app or when you try installing cias?

11. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    When I open FBI in homebrew

12. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Are you following "finalizing-setup" "Section III - Launching FBI" from the Guide?

13. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    Yes, homebrew launches. But when I follow Section IV, when I open FBI from the homebrew launcher, it says "An exception occurred". Happens everytime. And it isn't just FBI it is all apps from homebrew.

Last edited by pengewl421, Jul 24, 2017
  14. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    sounds like you missed something scrool back up to
    finalizing Section I - Prep Work
    and ensure you copied all needed files to the correct locations

15. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    I have checked and everything is where it needs to be. I still get the error.

16. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    I have tried a lot and I still can't use any Homebrew applications. Can someone help? I can't find anything anywhere that shows how to fix.

17. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    sorry i gotta sleep but if the problem is not solved by tomorrow i will (attempt to) solve it then

18. pengewl421
    OP

pengewl421 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2017
    United States
    I reinstalled boot.3dsx (starter kit) and now it is working. Thanks for y'alls help!

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Make sure you have new-hbmenu: https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases