Questions about Sky3ds+

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Chromez, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Chromez
    OP

Chromez Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    Netherlands
    So we have a New nintendo 3ds and a 2ds, they both are running on firmware: 10.7.0-32E.

- Is Sky3ds+ the right choice here with these systems running on this latest firmware?
    - Can i easily switch the Sky3ds+ between the 2ds and New 3ds consoles and play right away using the same flashcard?
    - Can i play all 3ds games as well as DS games and even gameboy roms?
    - Is there anything i should know before buying? Cons?

I hope someone can answer these 4 specific questions. Thanks in advance!

2. astronautlevel

astronautlevel Finding a reason, waiting for a miracle

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Well, I guess a more general response would be you don't have to pay money to pirate games and can simply downgrade.

That being said, here's answers to your questions:
    1. You can downgrade and set up CFW on the latest firmware, but Sky3ds+ does work on latest firmware.
    2. Yes
    3. You can only play 3ds games with sky3ds. Online games will require you to acquire a private header.
    4. See private header point. It's a pain to get (you need either powersaves or CFW). Also, given that you can get piracy for free, that's a con of buying a sky3ds.

Chromez and Omegadrien like this.
  3. Chromez
    OP

Chromez Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    Netherlands
    Thank you for your response!

I won't be playing online so the private header points won't be a problem for me. Both systems will be disconnected from WiFi.

So now my only question that remains which is also very important, i would like to play Gameboy roms such as Alleyway and Super Mario Land. I've read that this is possible with Ninjhax. Is this true? Will i be able to play Gameboy roms on my firmware with the Sky3ds+ in that way?

4. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    It's possible with ninjahx, but it's very slow. A way better solution is to downgrade and set up CFW, which allows you to play gameboy games at full speed.

Chromez likes this.
  5. Chromez
    OP

Chromez Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    Netherlands
    I see! And if i would downgrade and set up CFW as you suggested, which flashcard would you personally recommend?

6. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Once you set up CFW, you can pirate games without needing a flashcart.

7. Chromez
    OP

Chromez Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    Netherlands
    Gotcha! Now this would be the last thing i would ask of you lol, could you be so kind to point me in the right direction to a friendly tutorial on how to downgrade from 10.7 and set up CFW.

Thank you.

8. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
    One note about it: parts 4 through 5 install arm9loaderhax, which will make it boot at normal boot speeds and have a 100% boot rate. However, it takes a while to do. You can stop after part 3 then message me and I'll send you instructions on autobooting without arm9loaderhax (though it won't have a 100% boot rate and will be slower). Or, you can continue and install arm9loaderhax. It's your choice :)

Chromez and Quantumcat like this.
  9. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Once you're downgraded you won't need any flashcart. Unfortunately the free methods of accessing homebrew (needed to downgrade) were blocked in 10.6 and 10.7. You will need a game, either Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time plus a PowerSaves dongle. Luckily, A Sky3DS can pretend to be a copy of Cubic Ninja so if you end up getting a Sky3DS you'll be sorted on that front. If you have plenty of money to throw around you may as well continue with your plan of getting a Sky3DS. The cheapest option (OoT and PowerSaves) costs about $40 or $50 US altogether whereas Sky costs about $90. However you'll be able to use your Sky for other things in the future.

Chromez and astronautlevel like this.
  10. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    You could also get a normal Sky3ds instead of a sky3ds+ if all you're going to do is use cubic ninja :D

peteruk and Quantumcat like this.
  11. Chromez
    OP

Chromez Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    Netherlands
    Thank you for all the help. Now i have enough information to get started and make decisions on what i want to do. Awesome community :)

Quantumcat likes this.
  12. DGergely93

DGergely93 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2016
    Hungary
    Hi!

Does this means, that normal (blue?) Sky3ds supports firmware: 10.7.0-32E? I've tought only Sky3ds+ supports it.
    I'm asking this because I'm about to get an old 3ds with 10.7.0-32E firmware version and don't know which flashcart is usable for that firmware.

13. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Sky3ds original supports 10.7. However, it doesn't support games that were released after 9.5.

I'd recommend a sky3ds to use a cubic ninja rom then downgrade.