Hardware Questions about hardmodding and HBC

Krayce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently received a Wii from a cousin and the first thing I wanted to do was mod it. So I immediately came here first. I have some questions, I've been searching these forums for answers, but I've been super confused. I asked a friend about hardmodding and using HBC, but he was really vague. Hopefully you guys can help me.

- Can I use homebrew channel with hardmodding? If so, do I just put HBC on an SD card and load it up that way?
- As long as I don't update, I can continue to play my backups right?

If there's a guide somewhere I missed, could someone point me to the right direction?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Krayce said:
I recently received a Wii from a cousin and the first thing I wanted to do was mod it. So I immediately came here first. I have some questions, I've been searching these forums for answers, but I've been super confused. I asked a friend about hardmodding and using HBC, but he was really vague. Hopefully you guys can help me.

- Can I use homebrew channel with hardmodding? If so, do I just put HBC on an SD card and load it up that way?
- As long as I don't update, I can continue to play my backups right?

If there's a guide somewhere I missed, could someone point me to the right direction?
1) If you're hardmodded and on 3.2 or lower, you can directly install it using a ISO, otherwise you need a backup of Zelda, and then install it via that.
2) With a modchip you can update without problems, and your backups will still work.

Nintendo still has to do a "modchip-killer" update and the chances of something like that are very slim.

Krayce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!

So I've one more question.

I can essentially burn any iso and it'll work 100% of the time if I hardmod right? Do I have to do anything special?

tedmg09130913

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can burn the hbc iso and it should work 100% of the time. So long as your wii can run trucha signed disks from a hard modded wii dvd drive. Game backup isos might require special adjustments but most will probably work as is.

Krayce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have a few more questions.

I just found out I have firmware 3.1U, so it should be fine for hardmodding right?

I've decided on a wiikey2, as it's the cheapest modchip, however, I'm confused on its compatibility with my own wii. I see that it depends on my drive? How do I figure out which one do I get?

So as I understand, the wiikey2 simply tricks the wii into thinking that backups are real and updating has no effect on the wiikey2. Is this correct?

Also, how do I take out the update parts on games that haven't taken it out already?

Oh God, I ask so many questions... but one more.... sorry guys!

I tried out wiiscrubber on mario tennis, but it didn't take anything out. The new file was 4.7 GB. What did I do wrong?

Thanks again guys!!!

Also... trucha? I see this option in wiiscrubber, but I don't know what it is.

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Krayce said:
Okay, I have a few more questions.

I just found out I have firmware 3.1U, so it should be fine for hardmodding right?

I've decided on a wiikey2, as it's the cheapest modchip, however, I'm confused on its compatibility with my own wii. I see that it depends on my drive? How do I figure out which one do I get?

So as I understand, the wiikey2 simply tricks the wii into thinking that backups are real and updating has no effect on the wiikey2. Is this correct?

Also, how do I take out the update parts on games that haven't taken it out already?

Oh God, I ask so many questions... but one more.... sorry guys!

I tried out wiiscrubber on mario tennis, but it didn't take anything out. The new file was 4.7 GB. What did I do wrong?

Thanks again guys!!!

Also... trucha? I see this option in wiiscrubber, but I don't know what it is.

1. Yes, Alot of people use 3.2 do to Starfall, but 3.1u is fine.

2. Yes it depends on your drive. Look at your DVD drive chip to figure out what chipset you have. see below.
drea.jpg

3. As of yet correct. Nintendo has never done any updates that effected mod chips, and the likely hood of them doing so is highly unlikely do to the way mod chips work. Although you will some times have to load new ISOs to get games to work, such as Mad World requires ISOs 53 and 55.

4. Use Brick Blocker to kill update partitions. Use RegionFrii if you want to switch the disc to your region if it isn't your region.

5. Never used Wiiscrubber for scrubbing, so sorry can't help you. Trucha allows you to resign a ISO you modified from it's orignal formating. Some more info on this can be found here

-FTen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-