Homebrew [Question] Why is OTP.bin so important ???

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's basically your master key for your console's encryption. All the other keys are encrypted with it, and one of them can be modified if you have the OTP. Thus particular key is used to determine a random panic address the cpu jumps to on boot failure, and we replace it with one which will jump to a9lh as its random address.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I probably have some details wrong, but the general idea is correct.

Reactions: GreaterDog

GreaterDog

A True Warrior, A Warning 9 Warrior
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
It's basically your master key for your console's encryption. All the other keys are encrypted with it, and one of them can be modified if you have the OTP. Thus particular key is used to determine a random panic address the cpu jumps to on boot failure, and we replace it with one which will jump to a9lh as its random address.

thanks you to remind me why i keep my otp.bin inn my mega storage

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not quite accurate, the OTP is hashed and the hash is used to determine the key used to decrypt the N3DS keystore (or for o3DS, to encrypt it as it would be if it were an N3DS). The second key is used to decrypt the arm9 kernel in K9L2, and can be corrupted to gain execution in combination with the bootrom FIRM underwrite flaw. On N3DS it is possible to execute a bootstrapped k9lhax by brute forcing the existing second NAND key to gain access to the uncleared OTP hash to secure permanent k9lhax.

Reactions: Tizm and Psi-hate

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a +1