[Question] Where to start with Wii U homebrew development

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by link270, Jul 27, 2016.

1. link270
    OP

link270 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Hey all,

I've been hanging around here for a while and love all the work everyone has been doing lately. I am a computer science major working on a degree right now and would love to be able to contribute more to the community and the scene.

I have a good understanding and knowledge of C++, Java, C#, etc. (And can obviously learn new languages) I was just wondering if anyone can point me towards some good recourses on what I might want to research and look into to understand the process of getting something developed for the Wii-U.

Thanks guys!

2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
  3. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    Last edited by Bug_Checker_, Jul 27, 2016
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    It still gave me those threads

5. link270
    OP

link270 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the threads man, I've looked through most of them before, as well as many many threads around Gbatemp. ;) However, I will certainly re-visit them. I would also like if someone has any more specific thoughts or links to help out.

Coc4tm likes this.
  6. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Wii U software is programmed using a mix of PPC assembly, C and C++. (C# is used in the copyrighted Unity framework, and HTML, JavaScript and CSS can be used in the copyrighted Web framework).

I am currently working on an example that shows how to use the console's GX2 graphics library to make bootiful coloured backgrounds and PNG image rendering. I should have it finished on the weekend, when I have time. Until then, @dimok released an example that shows a 3D cube rendering in GX2.

Most homebrew is also open-source, you if you want to see how a particular dev did something, just look up the code.

lordelan likes this.
  7. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Well, RPX building is coming soon™ but you can get start with the Homebrew Launcher for now, there are a bunch of examples on Github, wiiudev/libwiiu, dimok789, Maschell, and some by FIX94

TotalInsanity4 and Kafluke like this.
  8. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    It already has (partially? I don't know, haven't tested it): https://github.com/decaf-emu/wut

9. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Just look through "Advice for homebrew creation". If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Personally, I got my start with Wii U stuff by modifying the "template" project (libwiiu/osscreenexamples) to include the left analog stick. Admittedly it was back in the userspace days and isn't very helpful for HBL stuff, but it's a start.

10. BothyBhoy

BothyBhoy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2015
    Just to say.....Welcome to the Pleasure Dome!!!!.....Great to have you on board......Enjoy the ride!!!!.....

TotalInsanity4 and lordelan like this.
  11. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    If only there were an open source non-sdk replacement for makerpl64.exe to make thing easier along the way,
    Oh wait ,
    https://github.com/0CBH0/wiiurpxtool

Time to make this thread a little more homebrew friendly:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decompress-and-repack-rpx-rpl-files.399934/

12. Neouni

Neouni Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2004
    Netherlands