Hacking [Question] Where to start with Wii U homebrew development

link270

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I've been hanging around here for a while and love all the work everyone has been doing lately. I am a computer science major working on a degree right now and would love to be able to contribute more to the community and the scene.

I have a good understanding and knowledge of C++, Java, C#, etc. (And can obviously learn new languages) I was just wondering if anyone can point me towards some good recourses on what I might want to research and look into to understand the process of getting something developed for the Wii-U.

Thanks guys!

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Bug_Checker_,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

link270

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the threads man, I've looked through most of them before, as well as many many threads around Gbatemp. ;) However, I will certainly re-visit them. I would also like if someone has any more specific thoughts or links to help out.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Wii U software is programmed using a mix of PPC assembly, C and C++. (C# is used in the copyrighted Unity framework, and HTML, JavaScript and CSS can be used in the copyrighted Web framework).

I am currently working on an example that shows how to use the console's GX2 graphics library to make bootiful coloured backgrounds and PNG image rendering. I should have it finished on the weekend, when I have time. Until then, @dimok released an example that shows a 3D cube rendering in GX2.

Most homebrew is also open-source, you if you want to see how a particular dev did something, just look up the code.

Reactions: lordelan
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just look through "Advice for homebrew creation". If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Personally, I got my start with Wii U stuff by modifying the "template" project (libwiiu/osscreenexamples) to include the left analog stick. Admittedly it was back in the userspace days and isn't very helpful for HBL stuff, but it's a start.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, RPX building is coming soon™ but you can get start with the Homebrew Launcher for now, there are a bunch of examples on Github, wiiudev/libwiiu, dimok789, Maschell, and some by FIX94

If only there were an open source non-sdk replacement for makerpl64.exe to make thing easier along the way,
Oh wait ,
https://github.com/0CBH0/wiiurpxtool

Time to make this thread a little more homebrew friendly:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decompress-and-repack-rpx-rpl-files.399934/

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs