[Question] Unbrick a PS3 Slim after a bad ps3xploit flash?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Stremon, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    Hey guys,

I recently put back the original HDD to my second PS3 Slim (CECH-2000A), to give it to one of my friends, but I think I messed up.

Before the HDD switch, the PS3 was on CFW 4.82 Rebug, but the original HDD I use now is on OFW 4.82, and the PS3 booted on that OFW, so I though I had to reflash the ps3xploit before installing the CFW again.

The ps3xploit itself was successful, but after the reboot, my ps3 doesn't want to boot anymore, when I push the power button it giving me the 3 beeps and red light right away. Recovery mode doesn't work either. I realized afterward that the NOR didn't need to be reflashed after changing the HDD, I could have just reinstalled the CFW. So I guess I messed up the NOR with the second flash.

Is there any way to fix the NOR without an hardware flasher like the E3?
    If only the E3 is able to unbrick it, does someone have the correct process to follow for that?
    I guess I can find a guide to dump the NOR, but I wouldn't know what to do with it :P

Thanks ;)

2. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Do you have a backup of the Original NOR BEFORE CFW?

3. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    Sadly no.
    But I saw on the ps3xploit explanations that the xploit wasn't touching any console unique part of the firmware, allowing to recover it easily if bricked.
    I just don't know how to do that.

4. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Can you format the hdd on a pc and reinsert it.
    Then the PS3 will ask you to install an update Were you choose the Rebug currently installed

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

5. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    That's a good idea, I will try that! :D

Meanwhile I searched a bit, it looks like patching the NOR flash twice shouldn't brick it, since it's probably overwriting the same thing. I hope I didn't messed up somewhere else, like with a bad hex file or something... :unsure:

So I will try your solution hoping it works :ha:

konsolenumbau.expert likes this.
  6. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    So I tested, and still the same, it doesn't even detect when the HDD is not inserted.
    I think it's truly bricked sadly :(

7. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    OK. That's really sad.

Unfortunately without a backup and reflash it via E3 I wouldn't know what to do.

But like you sad, you should take a dump (better 2 with compare them) and there might be someone on here with more knowledge how to fix it via hex if this is possible in any way.

Unfortunately I'm more into XB so I'm the wrong person for this. Sorry I can't help further.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

8. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    No problem, thanks for helping anyway ;)