Question regarding CTRnand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Timburpton, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Timburpton
    OP

Timburpton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    I installed a9lh ages ago using the original plailect guide before the massive updates since then.

I just helped my friends install a9lh using the new guide and it seems there's this thing called CTRnand.

What is the point of having a ctrnand luma cfw as opposed to my original version? Is there any benefits to having ctrnand?

2. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBATemp Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    Well, CTRNAND transfer is a new way of downgrading, instead of having to install the firmware CIAs, you replace the contents of CTRNAND with those in a CTRNAND transfer file. The advantage of CTRNAND transfering is that CTRNAND transfer images are compatible for any console (each model has it's own image).

Also, CTRNAND is a way of calling the 3DS NAND chip.

3. Timburpton
    OP

Nov 18, 2014
    So is there anypoint in me installing the so called ctrnand luma instead of my current set up?

4. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBATemp Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    No, it's just a way of downgrading. Although it has saved people from (soft) bricks as it is a default NAND image.

5. gold lightning

gold lightning Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    CTRnand is the NAND chip of your console. With newer versions of a9lh you can now have Luma installed to it as a fallback for not having a working SD card inserted or in place of installing Luma to the SD card altogether (I personally wouldn't recommend this, tbh).

It is a great way to make your console still work if SD related issues arise.

6. Timburpton
    OP

Nov 18, 2014
    So someone who travels on the seven seas (if you catch my drift), it doesn't really make a difference if my SD slot gets wrecked. Unless I go for a flash cart right

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    It matters a huge amount. Games are installed to the SD card so if your SD slot stops working you can't play games at all (except DSiWare which is installed to the NAND). If that happened you'd have to buy cartridges or a Sky3DS.