Question Regardin Emulator Performance Under Linux

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 612
  • Replies 2
D

Deleted User

OP
Hi all. Recently, I've been considering migrating from Windows 10 to Arch Linux, and one of my main concerns is how certain emulators will perform under Linux.

I'm not too concerned about older systems like the SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, and so on. Not concerned with CXBX-R, either, as I'm pretty sure that it's probably not running under Linux anytime soon, due to the way it's written. I'm mainly concerned about GameCube (Dolphin) and PS2 (PCSX2) emulation performance on Linux. Going through several threads online, it seems that both emulators perform worse on Linux than on Windows, due to what appears to be a lack of optimization, on top of worse driver support. However, these threads seem a year old at least, with some threads spanning back to 2014 or so.

So, I'm curious as to whether or not this is still the case with Dolphin and PCSX2. Do they perform better under Linux, as of late? Or is performance still noticeably worse when compared to Windows?

EDIT: Dang, didn't see the title typo until the thread was already posted. Sorry about that.

Last edited by ,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I've used Dolphin quite a bit on Linux recently. It seems to perform just about the same it did on Windows.
At least, the games I played just ran fullspeed.

Mario Galaxy is gorgeous in HD.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
I've used Dolphin quite a bit on Linux recently. It seems to perform just about the same it did on Windows.
At least, the games I played just ran fullspeed.

Mario Galaxy is gorgeous in HD.
Thanks, Vins. I had tried looking up footage of Dolphin running under Linux on YouTube; the emulator seemed to stutter quite a bit, but I wasn't sure if that was Linux itself, or just the recording software/background program usage bogging the system down. Many of the videos were out of date as well, so I was wondering if performance had improved since then.

And agreed; a lot of games from that era look incredible when upscaled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ to0fresh: i downloaded everyfile but the cheats are in chinese anyway i can change it?