Question on grammar

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're quoting somebody, do you put the period before or after the quotation mark, or do you put one on each side?

For instance;

John told me "It's going to rain today".

^^In that instance, the quote is at the end of my sentence, and the quote ends with a period. So, would I put a period at the end of his sentence ( "It's going to rain today." ), after the quotation (example above), or both ( "It's going to rain today.". ), since technically it's the end of my sentence as well, and therefore should end in a period.

Pretty pointless, but it's been bugging me for a while xD.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It should go before the quotation mark, example: "HERP A DERP LERP. I LIKE TO SLERP."

Unless it's just a letter or number, then it would be:
"What'd you get on your final?"
"A".

EDIT: And as Foxi reminded me, it would go after if it's a sentence like:
"BLAH BLAH BLAH", Said Dorthy, "I AM A DUMB DIKE."

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is something that always confuses me as well (not sure why), but as far as I know, any periods between quotation marks are really only used when quoting more than one sentence. In every other case, you end the whole sentence with a period. e.g:

"That's how quotes should look like", said Dorothy.

Read up on Reported Speech to learn more.

That's not an opinion, it was a fact. This is what is taught in all schools in the US.
It's not a fact, unless that's how it's done in the U.S. In standard English grammar it's the exact opposite.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This is something that always confuses me as well (not sure why), but as far as I know, any periods between quotation marks are really only used when quoting more than one sentence. In every other case, you end the whole sentence with a period. e.g:

That's not an opinion, it was a fact. This is what is taught in all schools in the US.
It's not a fact, unless that's how it's done in the U.S. In standard English grammar it's the exact opposite.
Well I forgot to add the part you mentioned, but in every other case what I posted was the "rules"

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That is how it is done in the US... under certain rule-sets. In real life, unless your school or organization advocates one writing style over another, the only rule is to be consistent (and no, that doesn't mean you can be an ass and put punctuation wherever you want, it just means you need don't need to be nitpicky about something like comma placement, so long as you always put it in the same place).

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on where you're from. Personally, I choose only to include punctuation within the quotation marks if it's present within the original context.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I forgot to add the part you mentioned, but in every other case what I posted was the "rules"

Relevant.

John told me "It's going to rain today".
That sentence doesn't even need quotation marks.

Damn lol. I was gonna point this out.

Grammar rules are fun. They vary...quite a bit. I always put punctuation on the outside of the quotes when I quote speech. Dunno why, I just think it looks better.
Luckily this is the internet so no one circles it in red and puts an x beside it when I do it >_>

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Grammar rules are fun. They vary...quite a bit. I always put punctuation on the outside of the quotes when I quote speech. Dunno why, I just think it looks better.
Luckily this is the internet so no one circles it in red and puts an x beside it when I do it( ) X >_>
Lacks proper punctuation. -5 points.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu