[Question]Gateway or sky3ds & should i update ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by zero80472, Sep 3, 2015.

1. zero80472
    OP

zero80472 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Hi there i just got a "new 3ds xl" with fw version 9.6.0-24E

should i get a gateway card or a sky3ds ?

also could i still update this firmware or should i update it ??

thanks
    zero

2. DaftMink

DaftMink GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    As your firmware is greater then 9.2 you CANNOT use gateway.
    Go buy a Sky3DS card, but please note Nintendo could break the card at any point via an update.
    If you don't want this happening fill all wireless connections with incorrect SSID/Passwords to prevent auto updating.

3. zero80472
    OP

zero80472 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    thanks

is it still safe for me to update fw @this moment in time ?? to get my eshop stuff

4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    The 3DS does not have an auto update feature.
    Update and get youtube from the eShop while you still can for homebrew using Tubehax http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
    Also get a new sealed cheap game so you can make a private header when you get your sky3ds (you will need a powersaves or for someone to rip your game in the gateway menu).

5. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Can Nintendo really prevent Sky3DS from being used? I thought it didn't use any exploits, so every game that works now will work forever, and only the new games (with the improved anti piracy check) can (and will) not be launched...

6. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I don't the know technicals but from community "experts" it does not behave like a normal card the only reason I can think of why Nintendo has not given it the axe yet is to boost Handheld sales.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  7. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    The reason is that patching Sky3DS might affect legitimate users since it emulates a game card as opposed to exploiting a vulnerability in the 3DS. But there were two games recently with built-in AP that Sky has yet to overcome.

8. zero80472
    OP

zero80472 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    What games ?

whats the private header for ?

is there a post with all the info ?

9. the assaf

the assaf GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    More likely to find another arm9 exploit then having sky3ds blocked via firmware update. If Nintendo can block sky3ds they will do it Soon as they can. Draftmink-if he want to prevent firmware updates he can use tubehax DNS...

Edit: animal crossing happy home designer jp and Fire emblem if jp have ap checks. If you going online using public header you may get banned

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    They already have. See: recent game releases.
    There is absolutely no reason they couldn't implement this into the firmware itself so that a future update will block every single game from working on the Sky3DS, of course you could just not update and lose eShop access as well as the ability to play future legitly purchased games. For now though we can assume all future games will use this AP, which is almost as bad.
    You said it yourself, they added a new anti piracy check. There's no reason this couldn't be implemented into the firmware.
    They have shown they can detect the Sky3DS, and once it's confirmed that this new check doesn't affect legitimate users, they have no reason not to add it in a firmware update.

11. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    If I remember it right, those games are Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer and Fire Emblem If.

12. the assaf

the assaf GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    Actually, there is a reason: that can update console software all when they want to, but they can't change exciting console hardware-while Nintendo can always add a new chip to game card.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Is that what they did though? I haven't heard anything suggesting that it is.

14. the assaf

the assaf GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    Just gw and Nintendo know what is that ap check, but it a possible patch.

15. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Thats not what I was talking about

16. tony_2018
    This message by tony_2018 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Sep 3, 2015, Reason: trolling.
    Sep 3, 2015
  17. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    How so? I'm sure there are others reasons but wouldn't the off chance of effecting legitimate users be reason enough not to block sky at this time?