Hacking [Question] Does Henkaku opens the door for PSP/Vita iso loading?

lucks

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Henkaku IS a kernel exploit, or at least the entry point used by henkaku does HAVE kernel access.

Henkaku does not uses "dangerous" patches that could easily lead to piracy (+ it s closed source atm).

This is like ninjhax.

I really don t care about vita games, but i hope to see an unlocked henkaku to unlock the psp emulator (64mb of ram and no restrictions for homebrews), install a sort of cfw, plugins on boot, themes without app.db modifications and uninstall system apps (i really hate them).
I also hope we will be able to use a standard usb transfer mode, so goodbye CMA.

Ps. Also remember that i could be wrong :)

Reactions: satan89

demoncatursday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy consoles and games for sole purpose of exploits or hacks. Buy it cause you support it and want it, like it and to see more in future

Basically this, I got my Vita only recently. I was deciding between a Vita for Vita stuff (+the possibility of emulators at a later point, which has payed off) or just grabbing a cheap PSP for Emus

I bought the Vita wanting those hacks and emulators, yes, but if that was the only reason I wanted one I'd have gotten a PSP and saved the cash

Reactions: VincentBeasley

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Henkaku itself is a userland exploit, not a kernel exploit so it wouldn't be able to do anything towards getting the still encrypted eboots decrypted (and thank god for that because piracy on the vita would basically kill it for everyone)
Before we kill it, it had to be alive first.

Pirating Vita now is like salvage what left of its before the ship sink to the bottom.

tuxdude143

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Before we kill it, it had to be alive first.

Pirating Vita now is like salvage what left of its before the ship sink to the bottom.
No, no it isn't. FYI the vita is actually incredibly successful in Japan and it has lots of third party titles coming out for it. The vita was alive and still is very much alive. I mean FFS the vita has sold more units than the Wii U has. At this point in time the vitas ship is still above the water but piracy on the vita is the potential iceberg.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Henkaku IS a kernel exploit, or at least the entry point used by henkaku does HAVE kernel access.

Henkaku does not uses "dangerous" patches that could easily lead to piracy (+ it s closed source atm).

This is like ninjhax.

I really don t care about vita games, but i hope to see an unlocked henkaku to unlock the psp emulator (64mb of ram and no restrictions for homebrews), install a sort of cfw, plugins on boot, themes without app.db modifications and uninstall system apps (i really hate them).
I also hope we will be able to use a standard usb transfer mode, so goodbye CMA.

Ps. Also remember that i could be wrong :)
ninjhax was not a kernel exploit. It launched code through rohax, they hacked the system service (ro) that loads code to do it. ninjhax wasn't even an arm11 kernel exploit (memchunkhax, for example, is ARM11). You needed an ARM9 kernel exploit (firmlaunchhax or a9lh) to decrypt and run pirated CIAs.

Venom Intellect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ninjhax was not a kernel exploit. It launched code through rohax, they hacked the system service (ro) that loads code to do it. ninjhax wasn't even an arm11 kernel exploit (memchunkhax, for example, is ARM11). You needed an ARM9 kernel exploit (firmlaunchhax or a9lh) to decrypt and run pirated CIAs.
I'm glad you guys have restrictions in place to prevent legal trouble between you guys and Sony. People don't understand that restrictions are there for a reason.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's three possibilities
  • The door to piracy is built by us
  • The door to piracy could be broken down by our tools but we chose not to
  • The door to piracy cannot be broken down by our tools
You can choose what to believe.

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's three possibilities
  • The door to piracy is built by us
  • The door to piracy could be broken down by our tools but we chose not to
  • The door to piracy cannot be broken down by our tools
You can choose what to believe.

It's all three until someone analyzes it and collapses the waveform!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

VincentBeasley

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really see Vita piracy being a thing? Memory cards are too expensive to actually pirate a significant amount games, and why would I want to pirate 100 JRPGs, visual novels, and indies? That's all the system seems to have nowadays.
That's pretty much my point. I understand people have their niche, everyone does, and I respect that. But there's really not a balance nor very many bread-and-butter games that need to come BEFORE niche games. With the price of memory cards, effort needed for piracy and a lopsided library of games I just don't see the point of making that the priority over other more useful things. But there seems to be several people who disagree and that's completely ok

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also: here is a fun question for people who spend too much time worrying about the ethics of piracy: If I pick up a game from a pawn shop or a local game store or just borrow it from a friend, is it functionally different from piracy economically for Sony/the game developers?

I'll take a jab at this answer.

Yes it is because someone had to pay for that copy of the game to be in circulation in the first place.

helltoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, no it isn't. FYI the vita is actually incredibly successful in Japan and it has lots of third party titles coming out for it. The vita was alive and still is very much alive. I mean FFS the vita has sold more units than the Wii U has. At this point in time the vitas ship is still above the water but piracy on the vita is the potential iceberg.

people like to blame piracy for the downfall of the PSP but keep forgetting homebrews are the only reason it managed to stay afloat in the west throughout the first few years. the fact a handheld was capable of running such a huge variety of emulators prior to smartphones was a wonder. in fact, sales took a hit after Sony released the cursed 2Ks and never recovered.

it hurt software sales and scared away western devs., yes, but the keyword here is 'western'. Japanese games kept getting released well into the PSV life. would more of them have been localized were not for 5.03 ChickHEN or 6.20 TN? maybe, but it's a moot point. the fact is that the west has already abandoned the Vita and, if the past taught us anything, it's that handhelds will soar in Japan, piracy or not.

and don't pretend that piracy isn't what 90% of the userbase expects from exploits. or that the WiiU isn't as big, or even bigger, of a failure.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
people like to blame piracy for the downfall of the PSP but keep forgetting homebrews are the only reason it managed to stay afloat in the west throughout the first few years. the fact a handheld was capable of running such a huge variety of emulators prior to smartphones was a wonder. in fact, sales took a hit after Sony released the cursed 2Ks and never recovered.

it hurt software sales and scared away western devs., yes, but the keyword here is 'western'. Japanese games kept getting released well into the PSV life. would more of them have been localized were not for 5.03 ChickHEN or 6.20 TN? maybe, but it's a moot point. the fact is that the west has already abandoned the Vita and, if the past taught us anything, it's that handhelds will soar in Japan, piracy or not.

and don't pretend that piracy isn't what 90% of the userbase expects from exploits. or that the WiiU isn't as big, or even bigger, of a failure.

It isn't a moot point. I like to have games to play on my handhelds, and easy rampant piracy fucks with that.

Reactions: tuxdude143

helltoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't get to play them if piracy makes it unprofitable to localise them.

it's not like they were gonna get localized in the first place, that's my point. how long do you think western publishers are gonna keep trying? I'll say it again: the Vita is dead. considering even Sony seems to have quietly dropped it, localizing teams are next.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
it's not like they were gonna get localized in the first place, that's my point. how long do you think western publishers are gonna keep trying? I'll say it again: the Vita is dead. considering even Sony seems to have quietly dropped it, localizing teams are next.

I don't care about western publishers, I just want to keep getting localisations.

Sony are ignoring it, it's barely sold a fifth what the PSP did you're right. But the important point is that it still remains a viable platform to localise games for because a dedicated core of Vita owners continues to buy and support Japanese games. Despite its failure it is still more appealing to Japanese publishers than the PSP was.

If that's not because of piracy, why is it?

Reactions: tuxdude143

helltoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and yet the PSP was still getting games well into the Vita's life cycle. now, you're not gonna argue it could've gotten more if not for piracy, are you? because, in that case, it'd have gotten even more if only it was as popular as the DS. see? it's flimsy rationalizing at best.

speaking of the devil, piracy (or lack thereof) may be the reason why the PSV is more appealing than the PSP, but it was also twice as bad on the DS and publishers kept on publishing for it, so that's not the whole story.

and companies like XSEED will keep localizing games regardless of piracy, same as it did with the PSP. the niche userbase is there regardless. it's the smaller, even more niche titles that suffer, but those are bound to stop coming at some point, and what better time than now that even Sony doesn't seem to care anymore.

Last edited by helltoast,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...