PS1/2 Question concerning Swap Magic and PS2 Slim

CronoDyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to know, before I actually commit to buying it, is will I have the correct setup for Swap Magic to do what I want it to do. Now, I know there are other methods to use for the PS2, but I want to stick with Swap Magic for now.

I went on to what seemed to be the official site for Swap Magic -- http://www.swapmagic3.com/

There it reads "Swap Magic 3 allows you to boot up your own application or game software CDs and DVDs on your PS2 console. Swap Magic 3 is the perfect solution for playing backups games too. It doesn't need to modify your console and it doesn't spoil your warranty of your console" in surprisingly decent English. The two parts that caught my eye were "playing backups" and "doesn't need to modify your console." Further down the page it links to a youtube vid -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7yfw7DVLew

In this video the guy said clearly "these do not work for PS1 games." My question is (finally).. what will I need to play PS1 backups and SNES/NES/whatever ROMs? I'm getting the flip top thing along with the Swap Magic discs. Will I need AR, Codebreaker, USB sticks, etc? And would I need to mod my PS2, even though the site says I don't have to? Do I have to block the sensors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about the PS2 slim, but on my PS2 Phat, I only needed to break off the cover of the disc tray and get a slide card. I wouldn't think that you would need anything extra.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you have Slim, you only need the magic key and the swap magic discs. The flip top is for Phat IIRC. And the slide key is also Phat exclusive.

All you need are
1. Magic key (a.k.a. Magic Switch) or whatever else to block the sensors (you can make them yourself but I bought them =P)
2. SM discs

No modding, no AR, no USB sticks required.

I'm not familiar with PSX support on SM, but I think you can use Swap Magic to launch HDLoader kind of programs burned onto backup DVD to run programs off there. Not perfectly certain on this so better ask someone more credible =/

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need the magic keys for a slim, but I think there are flip top cases too. I mean, it doesn't really matter cause the keys are so hard to install I had to take mine apart and void the warranty anyway. That third one that goes at the back of the tray and holds down the button inside is impossible to do without having actually seen the inside of the case. Either way, it's your preference.

As for PSX backups, the ONLY disc based solution I know of is something called a Breaker Pro. It functions much like a swap magic and also requires keys/flip top, but it works great. Haven't run into an error with a game yet. The only problem is that I remember it being pretty hard to find on the internet and I had to look for a long time to find a company that would ship to America. It was a site called modchipstore or something super shady like that, and it took like 2 months to get here, but it's definitely worth the buy. I think it ran me like $25 or something all said and done.

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually have the swap magic discs and a slim PS2.

I bought the swap magic disc v3.8 I believe.
They include both a DVD and CD PS2 game loader. so you get 2 discs. I also purchased something called breaker pro, not code breaker. but it allows you to play PSX games the same way as swap magic. very handy.

Also included in the package I bought was the Slim Keys. You can also use Thick tape to block the sensor, which I ultimately did. Much more effective.

After using the swap magic, I got into the Free Memory Card Boot, or FMCB. very nice. runs off of a PS2 memory card and does the same thing as swap magic or memor32.

Patch the discs and play. By using FMCB, it is much easier to use code breaker cheats cuz you can load them off the memory card as your selecting your burned game. With swap magic, you have to swap from swap magic, to codebreaker/AR, back to swap magic, then to game....

I probably just wrote a wall of text. let me know if you have any questions in particular. i have used both methods and prefer FMCB over the swap magic.
With FMCB, you can use something called PSXLauncher, which lets you boot PSX games similar to swap magic as well.

hope this helps.

suppachipmunk

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive been using disk 2 of my game shark 2 to boot ps1 backups
the disk was a ps1 codes bonus disk (read only)

I will try the PSXLauncher (never heard of it before)

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea, i have tried PSX launcher on a few games and had no problems. But it only works on certain PS2 revisions, and when I boot Japanese games, they seem discolored on some of them.

kalmis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
You can get Breaker Pro from Modchip.com, just got mine like two weeks ago. Didn't know that PSX games would work on PS2 with it but will check it out later on today.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
do you know which versions?

I have a ps2 phat 50001 v10 NTSC [US]
alright did some tests today

the app says only PS2's above v9 and above can use it
I tested it, and basically works just like COGSWAP except its for PS1 games
and you dont press the X button after you insert the official PS1 game, you just wait for it to stop spinning

added it to my PS2 main menu
easier then using the gameshark disk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5