Hacking Question Question Before Firmware Upgrade.

DirtyOldHo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Currently on 4.1, I am planning on upgrading to 5.1 using ChoiDujourNX. I created a NAND backup before I started messing around with CFW, so my question is If I upgrade to 5.1 and there is an issue where I need to restore the NAND back up, will the backup created on 4.1 work once I am on 5.1? Or will I need to create another NAND backup once I am on 5.1?

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since youll be using chidor, no fuses will be burnt during the upgrade. you need to keep using autorcm though so that you do not automatically boot to ofw
no need to create another backup. youll be able to downgrade back to 4.1 just fine

lordpsycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
It should work, if you're updating with ChoiDujourNX it will activate AutoRCM and you won't burn any fuse, so you should be able to restore your 4.1 backup without issue.
You could also do a NAND backup after you update just to be sure in case something happens, in my case I have my 3.0.0 clean backup and 6.1.0 backup

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't going to use AutoRCM and let the fuses burn. That way I could still boot into OFW when I need to.
if you burn fuse you wont be able to downgrade without issues
you need to use AutoRCM
no way around it if you want to downgrade in the future

DirtyOldHo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was thinking that most people probably updated to 5.1 officially and already have the fuses burnt, so I didn't really see an issue with doing that.

My main concern isn't getting back to 4.1, it is getting the switch back to normal if something silly happens.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so do this
update to 5.1 using chidor
create another nand backup of 5.1
dont use auto rcm

problem solved

DirtyOldHo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any downside to going to 5.1 and burning the fuses that I should know about? Other then not being able to go back to 4.1.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any downside to going to 5.1 and burning the fuses that I should know about? Other then not being able to go back to 4.1.
none you just wont be able to downgrade back to 4.1 without a bunch of issues
and you wont be able to play games that require higher firmware

DirtyOldHo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, thanks for the info. I didn't really wanna go to 5.1, everything is working well as it is now. But with Super Smash I think it requires 5.1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-