Question about Wii -> Wii U transfer

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by UltraTintin, Jun 4, 2015.

1. UltraTintin
    OP

UltraTintin Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Hello. I'm aware the Wii U has a feature that allows you to transfer files from Wii to Wii U.
    In theory it should go smoothly if you haven't modded your Wii I take it?

Well, the problem is, I happen to legally own one virtual console game on the Wii. And I really wanted to transfer it to Wii U if possible.

But it's just one of multiple wads I own. I don't want to lose the "unofficial" wads or any of the softmod settings I have. I have usb loader gx fully configured to play gamecube and Wii games, a bunch of iOS or whatever I didn't really memorize to list, homebrew channel with all the installers I needed to get the Wii ready to use usb loader that way, and a bunch of wads. All in the same SD as the one legal game (Snes FF3).
    The Wii/GC games are all in one HDD of course. Not sure if that changes anything.

I have no intention of modding my Wii U. I'm not going to sell my Wii so I'm gonna keep using it for the backup games and stuff.

Anyway, is there any solution? Is there no way to transfer FF3 to Wii U's wii mode without messing up my Wii's modded setup or losing the wads that won't run in the Wii U anyway?

Thanks in advance...

2. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    The legit software will transfer, and all your other mods should be unaffected and stay on your original Wii. You may have to reinstall one or two things (that happened to me).

3. UltraTintin
    OP

UltraTintin Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2014
    Brazil
    I was told to use bootmii, installed as boot2, to make a backup of the NAND files.
    According to the wiki I need 528 mb of space to do the backup. Ok, I got it. But my bootmii was, apparently, installed as cios, so I'm going to use hackmii to install it as boot2.
    Thing is, I was also told after doing the backup, if I tried to access the shop channel it messed stuff up. Well, what about -before- I backup? I didn't get the transfer tool downloaded yet. But since softmodding my Wii I haven't accessed the shop channel ever.

EDIT: I'm confused. The SD I use on the Wii has 600 MB free. Of that, 528mb will be required for the bootmii NAND backup. But Nintendo's website says I need 512 mb to perform the transfer... on the same SD? If so, I'm screwed. This is a 2 GB SD. And with the NAND backup it will be almost full.

EDIT2: Turns out I I can only install bootmii as IOS. What? But I read if the first two digits after the "LU" in the serial of my Wii are less than 64 it's supposed to let me install?
    I never ever sent my Wii for repairs.

Last edited by UltraTintin, Jun 4, 2015
  4. UltraTintin
    OP

UltraTintin Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Sorry for the double-post. Just wanted to say I did the transfer and nothing on my softmodded wii seems different, other than lost wii game save data. I should probably have read more about the transfer itself. Oh well, too late now.

I did make a backup for the NAND though. Now it's overfilling my SD. Can I delete it?

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I backed-up my Wii's NAND first, then transferred, then made a second NAND backup after system transfer, and restored the first backup. I have both NAND backups on my laptop just in case, and all games and saves duplicated across both systems. :)

thorasgar likes this.