Question about unlink sysnand/emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RitchieRitchie, Jul 16, 2015.

1. RitchieRitchie
    OP

RitchieRitchie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2013
    Hi,

Do you have to create and then update the emunand before formatting the 3ds without the sd card in? Can you do it without updating the emunand? That way there'd be no chance of updating the sysnand as I could create emunand, unlink, fill the sysnand wifi settings with junk and then enter emunand and update.

The reason I'm a bit paranoid about it is that it's for a friend's son and I don't want to mess it up!

Any help much appreciated!

rr

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You don't have to update the emuNAND, and you don't have to update sysNAND. It will ask you to be able to connect to wifi but it will never update without asking you first (and doesn't during system format anyway)

3. RitchieRitchie
    OP

Nov 15, 2013
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. The sysnand is on 4.5 so for the new games I need to get the latest fw on emunand. Are you saying that I can create emunand, then unlink without updating the emunand first?

Any advice appreciated!

rr

4. Cavioe

Cavioe GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2015
    United States
    Yes that is what I always do. I format emunand then I unlink both sys and emunand from each other. Then I go and update emunand. While it is not neccesary, I always did this to avoid updating the wrong nand. Plus I always unlink anyways even if I was to update first. So why not just do it before the update and be done with it and have it safer.

5. RitchieRitchie
    OP

Nov 15, 2013
    Thanks a lot!

6. mrbits

mrbits GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    I have a quick question on this subject.

If I unlink, I cannot use the same NNID on both nands right? That's no big deal as I always use emunand for everything. What if though I screw up emunand and have to format it? Will my NNID still be linked to emunand?

7. Cinnamon

Cinnamon GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2014
    Norway
    I have them both linked with the same NNID so it should work for you as well. And for the last question, just make an emuNAND backup.