Hacking Question about Tubehax DNS

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I just blocked my Wii U update with TubeHax DNS.
I'M aware that using TubeHax DNS block acces to youtube.
My question is : Why?
Does Nintendo uses Youtube to update Wii U? (:rofl2:)

It's in the name.. TubeHax. It redirects YouTube to smea's site so that the payload could be activated on the
Nintendo 3DS. Smea has not updated the DNS yet so it still redirects YouTube.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
on the 3DS? I supose you mean Wii U
But why youtube?
Would it be possible to use a website a lot less used than youtube for this?
No, the tubehax DNS is made for 3DS. I don't think smea was expecting people to use it on their Wii Us to block updates.

It's in the name.. TubeHax. It redirects YouTube to smea's site so that the payload could be activated on the
Nintendo 3DS. Smea has not updated the DNS yet so it still redirects YouTube.
I don't think he will as that's the sole reason the DNS exists in the first place. He'll more likely just turn off the DNS server eventually since it can no longer be used for its intended purpose.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He'll more likely just turn off the DNS server eventually since it can no longer be used for its intended purpose.
Hopefully by now he's realized it's serving even more people than he was originally aiming for, and keeps it up for us.

But why youtube?
Would it be possible to use a website a lot less used than youtube for this?
On the 3DS, the actual YouTube app is launched to exploit the system; there's a lot more to it. We are only using the DNS that blocks Nintendo's servers. It redirects traffic from YouTube to that server, thus still keeping us from using YouTube. (TBH I don't really know if it actually does block YouTube since I dont allow internet access to my Wii U).

Theoretically, if we knew exactly which URLs TubeHax DNS blocks (I've never met somebody that does in passing, though I haven't tried hard to find out), somebody could set up a DNS server and block those for us so we could keep YouTube access. I believe nallar's DNS (GBATemp user) would achieve this.

The problem with that is that smea is very reputable and probably has some sort of backup operation in place. If some random user sets one up, how many would trust them to not pull the plug (or be paid by Nintendo to pull it ;)) to update everyone? Also what if a power outage occured for that person?

What is currently in place is as good as it gets until smea is wanting to be done with it.

JFalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Hopefully by now he's realized it's serving even more people than he was originally aiming for, and keeps it up for us.

On the 3DS, the actual YouTube app is launched to exploit the system; there's a lot more to it. We are only using the DNS that blocks Nintendo's servers. It redirects traffic from YouTube to that server, thus still keeping us from using YouTube. (TBH I don't really know if it actually does block YouTube since I dont allow internet access to my Wii U).

Theoretically, if we knew exactly which URLs TubeHax DNS blocks (I've never met somebody that does in passing, though I haven't tried hard to find out), somebody could set up a DNS server and block those for us so we could keep YouTube access. I believe nallar's DNS (GBATemp user) would achieve this.

The problem with that is that smea is very reputable and probably has some sort of backup operation in place. If some random user sets one up, how many would trust them to not pull the plug (or be paid by Nintendo to pull it ;)) to update everyone? Also what if a power outage occured for that person?

What is currently in place is as good as it gets until smea is wanting to be done with it.
Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but will this block Youtube access on my pc?

Mikenuun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but will this block Youtube access on my pc?
No :) you only use the TubeHax DNS servers on the WiiU / 3DS.
Your PC still uses regular DNS server, from your ISP // Router so that will not block youtube access.

I run my own DNS servers (not public) blocking only Nintendo's Update Servers, which is enough for the WiiU / 3DS

Reactions: JFalcon

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If some random user sets one up, how many would trust them to not pull the plug (or be paid by Nintendo to pull it ;)) to update everyone?
Does the Wii U really installs an update automatically and instantly as soon as you have an internet connection? I thought it would only automatically update silently IF quick app menu was enabled, or if you use standby mode. With those two out of the way what's to fear, an update nag that you can easily say no to? Besides, doesn't it require you to do something specific to trigger the update nag to download and show up?
For example, on the 3DS people would fear the update nag but the only real way to get it was to fold your 3DS in standby mode. So wouldn't it be difficult to ever even get the update nag on the Wii U if you never use standby?

I mean it sounds scary if quick app menu was enabled, but with it disabled nothing is majorly scary anymore.

Either way I'm gonna stick to using the tubehax DNS, my fav temper on Youtube "Eric Zander" prefers it so I'll follow along. I'm just being extra paranoid though since I KNOW that I have a static IP, yet I'm still not choosing to use OpenDNS.

Last edited by MattKimura,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.