Gaming Question about title keys

Mikemk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are title keys that freeshop, CIAngel, CDN-FX (etc) use unique to the game or the player? Can Nintendo detect if you use a title key that's not yours?

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are unique to the game. I''m not a 100% sure on this, but here is how I understand tickets work (or titlekeys, but I will call them tickets.). Basically, nintendo doesn't have servers that keep track of what games users own, unlike all the other online stores such as steam, psn, or even the app store. The way eshop knows if you bought a game is by right after you buy it, a small file downloads and installs on your system. This is called a "ticket". So now when you boot up eshop and go to the game you bought, it will scan your system for a ticket that is for whatever game you are trying to get. If you have it, you can download the game. If you don't, you can't download the game. So you are not suposed to be able to touch these tickets, otherwise you could extract them and give them to other people who would get the game for free. However, when the 3ds was hacked egnough, people found a way to extract tickets. So there is a very large database of these extracted tickets and ciangel and freeshop installs them on boot. With all the tickets installed, from the eshops point of view, you own all the games. Freeshop and ciangel are simply are more optimized downloaders, as the regular eshop is relatively boaltly. Both freeshop and ciangel downloads from nintendo's servers. There is no system nintendo has in place to track legitimate users and people using freeshop. I wouldn't worry to much, no one has gotten in trouble yet, and I doubt anyone will. If you still don't feel secure, you can always use "that iso site".

Hope I helped!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Basically, nintendo doesn't have servers that keep track of what games users own
They do, they do, however as you already said
There is no system nintendo has in place to track legitimate users and people using freeshop. I wouldn't worry to much [...]
they just don't care :) (for most content except dlc, even then there's a way to cheat the system)

If you still don't feel secure, you can always use "that iso site".
That's a last resort, most cias there are altered (see link in my sig), however you can download cias from the official servers without using your console using for example 3DSeStuff!

Not that there would be any difference from using freeshop/ciangel/fbi, as the download code is completely homebrew and no console identity is sent anyway, the end result is the same as using a cia except you don't normally get to keep the file for future reinstallations (something which I find wasteful and a serious risk to preservation of games after the eShop will close)

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some one to elaborate a bit more on titlekeys and tickets and the titlekeys website.. I am disappointed at the low percentage of available titlekeys (Seen here: http://3ds.jdbye.com), and have a few questions concerning some one that might hypothetically be willing to purchase eshop games..

1: If some one has a .cia file, is there any method or tool that you can use to verify that it is a legit/good .cia file?.. And if the answer is "No", then how does the owner of the titlekeys website check if a titlekey is valid or not before adding it to the database list?..

2: When you create decTitleKeys.bin using decrypt9, does that file contain titlekeys AND tickets? or just titlekeys?..

3: Actually, I still don't fully understand the difference between titlekeys and tickets.. Could some one explain when and how they are used or generated and checked?..

Thanks for your help fam..

Mikemk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1: If some one has a .cia file, is there any method or tool that you can use to verify that it is a legit/good .cia file?.. And if the answer is "No", then how does the owner of the titlekeys website check if a titlekey is valid or not before adding it to the database list?..
Titlekeys are used for downloading from Nintendo's servers. An invalid titlekey won't work, and the wrong titlekey will download a wrong game.

2: When you create decTitleKeys.bin using decrypt9, does that file contain titlekeys AND tickets? or just titlekeys?..
I don't actually know, so don't quote me on this, but I think just titlekeys

3: Actually, I still don't fully understand the difference between titlekeys and tickets.. Could some one explain when and how they are used or generated and checked?..
The titlekey is an encryption/decryption key for the game's files. The ticket stores information about the game, including the NNID that owns it, whether it came from the eShop or preinstalled, the titlekey, and other stuff, and it's encrypted or hashed somehow using a different encryption key.

The 3DS has way too many encryption keys.

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes and No, it is possible to verify it, but the problem is, if someone creates a cia fom it's own legit tickets, then any other person can't install it, tickets match with the console and we modify tickets to work on any system, but this breaks the signature -> no longer valid.

To verify that a titlekey is correct, you can download the game/update on pc and use the key to decrypt it, if it's garbage -> not valid.

It contains the titleid and decrypted titlekey, not the ticket. Tickets are not needed, the important part is the key, a generic ticket can be generated from the key.

Tickets are like licenses, they tell your system, what licenses you own.
Titlekeys are encryption keys, they are used to decrypt CIA container.
Tickets contain titlekeys and many other values, like eshop account id, console id, title id, ...

Also eshop never checks what you have installed, this is a myth, it's the other way around, your system checks if you own it and if it's re-download able or not.
This is why it's possble to download whatever you want directly on pc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.