OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
101908.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
So I have been reading that none of the flashcards that are out now don't work on the DSi. But I have read that the new acekart works.
but I had an M3 real card for my DSL. But I lost it as well as my DSL along with it. But I have a DSi pre ordered, but im a little worried that nintendo may have but a block on homebrews for the release in america. Is this just a pointless fear? Will the acekart 2i work on the american release version.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wouldn't get one since I am not too sure about it. Nintendo may create some update that will block flashcarts being used. Also, Team AceKard may make a update that will bypass Nintendo's firmware.

I would stick with buying a DS Lite + a AceKard 2i. Once you find out more info if the AceKard 2i will work with the DSi, then I would get a DSi.

patrickbrown3000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
101908.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I am going to buy the DSi regardless of the availability of a flashcart on the release date. but all this talk seems to go around in circles. So I'm just really confused on this whole issue. thanks for the info though. I think ill buy the dsi plus a game to tide me over til a proper card is released.

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
patrickbrown3000 said:
Well I am going to buy the DSi regardless of the availability of a flashcart on the release date. but all this talk seems to go around in circles. So I'm just really confused on this whole issue. thanks for the info though. I think ill buy the dsi plus a game to tide me over til a proper card is released.

Well, here's the short end of the stick, in a series-of-events style:
-DSi announced
-Japanese DSi Release
-It was discovered that the Japanese DSi blocked out the original line of flashcards
-Hacker finds an exploit
-A few card companies announce new cards
-There are four on the market now, Acekard 2i being the best choice (Others being R4i/Clone, EZ-Flash Vi, and TTDSi) Acekard 2i and EZ-Flash Vi both have updateable hardware, allowing circumvention of future Nintendo Block-outs, not sure about R4i, TTDSi is a no on that front.
-US and EU DSi compatibility panic for those who got their cards beforehand
-US and EU release dates of DSi announced
-Present

We honestly won't know until it happens, but Nintendo has released two updates for the Japanese DSi so far and nothing has changed in compatibility. I think we won't really have to worry as long as an R4 brand recognition doesn't occur again, because you know what? R4 was the first company to disappear and the first card to be officially outlawed by name in Japan.

My advice: borrow a friend's DSLite to run any needed updates in case your card fails to work.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the dsi flash kits use an exploit to load the kit on the dsi. the flash kits contain a section of a retail rom code (and in some cases i've read an entire rom) in the firmware itself. this exploit is very easy to block, nintendo just needs to want to block it. the dsi functionality, such as dsiware and dsi games have not been hacked. there is a strong encryption and a lookup table used to block the execution of pirated media. it may be cracked and it may not. right now the efforts have stalled but everyone hopes that the n. american release will get more people involved. as for the ak2i, i've been told from numerious people that it is a poor constructed kit. the sd slot errors on many kits, and i've been told the slot is very rough on sd cards for some builds. i would second the recommendation of waiting, but i would get the ak2.1 for my ndsl and enjoy it. purchase your dsi games to start, you can always sell them later on ebay if/when the system is hacked.

-another world

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World and the others are right.

I had the same questions a while, and decided to get a regular AK2 for my Lite. It's great and was only around $10 from dealextreme.

Maybe there will be a reliable homebrew solution someday for DSi, but until then a Lite and AK2 are the way to go. Right now would avoid the DSi for homebrew purposes. But if you want DSiware then get one, I guess.

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
patrickbrown3000 said:
now I'm confused again
So should I buy the Acekard 2i when I get my DSi?
What is the best option?

Watch these sites and see beforehand. If they do block it out, it will be all over these forums. So buy the DSi, wait on the card (I'll post later that day, I promise) and purchase when appropriate.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Only one thing worries me about the DSi... I can live with not updating the firmware, sure, but what if Nintendo begins to make DSi games that require you to update your firmware in order to support some of the features in the games? Don't ask me what exactly, but the PSP has a similar concept to what I'm mentioning.

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Only one thing worries me about the DSi... I can live with not updating the firmware, sure, but what if Nintendo begins to make DSi games that require you to update your firmware in order to support some of the features in the games? Don't ask me what exactly, but the PSP has a similar concept to what I'm mentioning.

I think they'll be heading the way of the Wii instead, only a few BigN games actually have updates (not so much for 3rd party) and there will occasionally be a required 'Shop' update. With the scene as powerful as it is, and the fact that I am keeping my DSLite for guest and family use, I'm not as worried.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, without a doubt I'll be keeping my DSL, but if I'm getting a DSi, I wanna know that my flashcard is gonna continue to work. I think I'll wait several months after its release. Not only will the price go down, but the firmware updates and new flashcard releases (M3DSi Real, baby! Yeah!) will affect my choice in purchasing a DSi. I dunno about anyone else, but I could never go back from using a flashcard. Too much hassle.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Shit... I might be getting a DSi sooner than I thought. The L button on my DS Lite no longer responds unless I press a little hard on it while my R button responds to even a feather-light press. I tried fixing it by moving the button around (pressing it in closer to my DS Lite hard) and cleaning around the button. It did the trick a little bit, but not enough for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1