Question about the browser exploit.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by HAMMARZ, Feb 20, 2015.

1. HAMMARZ
    OP

HAMMARZ Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2007
    United States
    Is it possible to use the browser to access a file stored on the 3DS sd card?

Just wondering because it'd be convenient to store the sites that launch code directly on the SD card, and I'm not exactly sure what the SD card's path would be from the browser.

2. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    I've wondered this too, as it'd be easier to put SD://exploit-go.html for when you're offline, although i'm sure someone would have mentioned it before with all the android launchers and stuff we have.

3. NKO18

NKO18 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2010
    United States
    The Mii maker exploit is likely to come out soon and make the browser exploit obsolete anyway though, right? I hope so anyway, needing an internet connection to start an already fickle mod mode is a deal breaker for me since the whole point is to use the thing on the go, where I don't have reliable internet.

4. Slushie3DS

Slushie3DS Cold Beverage Lover

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    I'd imagine, seeing as how the exploit turns ASM ROP into a binary file, which is then turned into JavaScript. The binary goes on your SD, and the JavaScript is hosted.

I was looking into attempting to load files via the SD, and it doesn't accept anything without http:// before it.

5. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    Can't be arsed to look around the threads, but when the exploit first appeared people already started talking about it. It's impossible, the browser won't allow it, at all.

6. Slushie3DS

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    To which do you mean?

7. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    The browser is written in such a way that it's literally impossible to load a html file from an SD card. The only time the browser gets access to SD, is when you try to download/upload a file, in which case it launches photo album and lets you choose a picture.

Slushie3DS likes this.
  8. Slushie3DS

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    Ah, wonderful explanation, friend.

9. Retr0Capez

Retr0Capez GBATemp's Official Evil Genius

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    In my vision of the perfect world ruled by me
    Mii maker exploit? Da fuq? What is that supposed to be?

10. NKO18

NKO18 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2010
    United States
    They talk about it a bit here https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3-0-ultra.378041/page-71 but there's not a ton of info, It was rumored to be the method to get gateway working on 9.2 but that wasn't right, now it's rumored to be the method to get it working on new 3ds since supposedly the web browser exploit can't even work at all on n3ds.

11. Slushie3DS

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    When the video of the Gateway working on N3DS was realeased, with SonyUSA being the suspected user, talk of a Mii exploit drifted around. No one is unsure of where it came from EXACTLY, but it was speculated to be scrapped because of talk that it broke games that include Mii's.

12. NKO18

NKO18 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2010
    United States
    Really? dang, so as of now there's no concept for using a new 3ds with an offline exploit? I'm in the market for one now so I guess I'll just get the original one so I can downgrade and use the offline DS profile exploit on it. :/ I'm upgrading from a 2ds because it won't let you downgrade on those, so any 3d model's a step up anyway.

Slushie3DS likes this.