Question about switching motherboards

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Inkyino, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Inkyino
    OP

Inkyino Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2018
    United States
    So I had a Nintendo switch then I broke the metal thing inside I guess call it the "structure holder" so I sent it to Nintendo for repair but they said they can't fix it. Couple months later I just bought another Nintendo switch. I still have the broken one and I have the recent one I bought. So if I get the recent one banned can I just replace the motherboard from the broken one to the banned one?

Memoir likes this.
  2. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    Sure. It contains all the necessary components. It'll effectively be like owning a new system.

3. Inkyino
    OP

Inkyino Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2018
    United States
    thank you very much, you good sir. God bless

JellyPerson likes this.
  4. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    No problem.

5. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    You mean the metal backplate (which is between the plastic shell and pcb) or the "plate" on SoC or ram?
    If the backplate, you just wasted a lot of money by buying a new Switch, because the old one is perfretly functional. The backplate serves no real purpouse...

And to answer your question: It would be just like powering on the "broken" one again.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Aug 18, 2018
    JellyPerson likes this.
  6. Inkyino
    OP

Inkyino Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2018
    United States
    yes the metal plate inside the switch, I was gonna buy a replacement on eBay but my parents didn't think it would work. But to the main answer, alright thanks! God Bless

7. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    HOOOOLD UP!

You can't just switch and expect it to work. Your EMMC for example is encrypted to your motherboard. So if you wanna use your eMMC from another switch, you must first somehow decrypt and re-encrypt it with the motherboard.

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    well as long as he kept his original Emmc on the board he can swap the whole thing, but you are correct, you can't swap the board out and swap Emmc chips, but as he was thinking to use it if he gets banned then he would likely be looking to keep his original nand and not swapping it with the banned system
    well it kinda doubles up as a secondary heat sink, but with the main heatsink in place it wouldn't really effect overall temp too much I wouldn't imagine

9. Inkyino
    OP

Inkyino Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2018
    United States
    I have everything from my broken switch. Just searched up what a eMMC is on a Nintendo switch and yea it's on my old switch. So I would have to replace the motherboard and the emmc if I ever get banned?

10. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Why can't you just play on the broken switch once you get banned? You don't have to swap it, as it is fully working. Or you can just swap the metal backplate instead of a whole freaking motherboard if you are really concerned about this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

He is talking about the whole motherboard, not just EMMC

11. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    The backplate is so the heat spreads evenly so that you don't feel hot spots while grabbing the console, also it help slightly reducing temperatures since it has thermal compound above the copper pipe to it.

Just buy a new one and put it in place with new thermal compound and use the old Switch for doing bad stuff, hacking it. Leave the new all original so it wont ever be banned...

Inkyino likes this.
  12. Inkyino
    OP

Inkyino Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2018
    United States
    the metal holder inside the switch is broken, to take that out I would have to take out the battery and legit everything. Or just replace and motherboard to the unbroken switch if it gets banned

13. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Then you are talking about different metal bracket. The one I am talking about is on top of everything (under the plastic)

14. CrAzYLiFe

CrAzYLiFe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    Australia
    Australia
    Link a picture to what your talking about...

The metal holder that everyone is suspecting is the big silver coloured shell under the plastic case.

If thats whats broken it shouldnt effect the switch.

You dont need to take out anything.. the metal cover comes off with battery and motherboard still connected in the switch.

The metal shell is used as a heatsink, shielding and possibly a bit of structural strengthening, your switch should still work just fine with it removed

15. Inkyino
    OP

Inkyino Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2018
    United States
    Oh my bad yea thats the thing im talking about. But since its broken, it doesn't have the holes to hold the shell of the switch

16. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    The shell is screwed to the other part of the shell. Not to the back metal plate.

17. CrAzYLiFe

CrAzYLiFe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    Australia
    Australia
    Feel like your trolling at this stage...

U should get a spare third switch so you could double swap your motherboards

18. Inkyino
    OP

Inkyino Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2018
    United States
    the shell is screwed to shell to shell. The joycon rails on the side is screwed to the metal shell inside. That metal shell inside was/is broken

19. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    We seriously need some pictures...

20. Inkyino
    OP

Inkyino Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2018
    United States
    Sorry, but lets move on to a next topic, this is way irrelevant. By any chance do you know how to boot lakka on my switch? tutorials on youtube doesnt work for me