ROM Hack Question about SNES game translation patches.

LightspeedAdventurer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can a translation patch, e.g. for the PAL version of Super Mario World, convert a PAL ROM into an NTSC ROM which is compatible with ROM hacks made for the NTSC version of the game, or do I need to just find an actual NTSC game cartridge to dump instead?

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Translation patches normally don't change the region, timing and will for sure not change the pinout of a cartridge on a snes game.
You can either go the old road (which will be permanent and make DRM trigger in some games).
or replace CIC with superCIC, it'll work even better with a fxpak pro for it has support for region fixing, superCIC and timing fixing (but it's a real pricy cartridge).
It might be possible to hack the region of some games, but it's complex for the timing and region check are different.

Last edited by JaapDaniels,
Reactions: Xdqwerty

LightspeedAdventurer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Translation patches normally don't change the region, timing and will for sure not change the pinout of a cartridge on a snes game.
You can either go the old road (which will be permanent and make DRM trigger in some games).
or replace CIC with superCIC, it'll work even better with a fxpak pro for it has support for region fixing, superCIC and timing fixing (but it's a real pricy cartridge).
It might be possible to hack the region of some games, but it's complex for the timing and region check are different.
for just.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the info, I'll try to look for NTSC cartridges.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah, okay. Thanks for the info, I'll try to look for NTSC cartridges.
that fxpak pro cartridge works for all systems and about all games and mods you ever heard of, and patches the region, and sometimes ever the timings.and can be combined with the supercic mod for perfect timing. you don't need to change the console, just it's pricey if you really want it perfectly regionfree.
fxpak pro is also mostly opensource: https://sd2snes.de/blog/ click on the links for more details.
The hardware of the snes PAL and NTSC have:
  • Differend handshake 4 bits encryption CIC called, wich can be cut out (but that is detectable), or the CIC can be replaced with superCIC.
  • Different clock speed crystal.
  • Different hardware on cardridge:
    iu
  • Some pal games wil not work with NTSC controller as player 1 (which is wierd for the controllers are analogue for most part and don't have an ID).

Last edited by JaapDaniels,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol