Hacking Question about PS4 linux

slackery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently tried to install the catjaro linux on 7.55 and install fine and change the language to english but after the reboot when I try to go in again the Keyboard and Mouse stop working. The PS4 detects them but after loading the linux payload the keyboard and mouse turn off and I wait 10 minutes and nothing. Any ideas? Also is the best distro for emulators? I want to use it for dolphin and retroarch purposes. I have unfinished business with dreamcast games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the hdmi trick where you unplug it for a few seconds. I don't recall what it was for. I've never tried Linux on the ps4 though, too many issues from what people have told me.

bbqtool

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What sort of keyboard and mouse are you using? (USB, wireless, bluetooth etc)

I use Fedora 32 on a PS4 pro for emulators, but Retroarch for Catjaro does up to PS1 well. Dreamcast pushes it and you can run Reicast on Manjaro but I've never tested it for performance.

For PS4 Linux, Reicast gives better performance most of the time but Retroarch has some other games not supported by Reicast. As a piece of advice, some popular Dreamcast games (Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs Snk 2, Crazy Taxi) have PS2 releases which run in Orbis really well when converted to a PKG. Some also have arcade releases which run much better in things like MAME (Mars Matrix and basically any other shmup, Garou and any other 2D fighter not already listed) and you are better off finding other methods. Things like 3rd Strike have native PS4 releases things like Anniversary Collection.

Gamecube and Wii aren't great either but I'm not sure of the specifics because I've never tested them. (I just use a Wii and a Gamecube controller for those)

slackery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What sort of keyboard and mouse are you using? (USB, wireless, bluetooth etc)

I use Fedora 32 on a PS4 pro for emulators, but Retroarch for Catjaro does up to PS1 well. Dreamcast pushes it and you can run Reicast on Manjaro but I've never tested it for performance.

For PS4 Linux, Reicast gives better performance most of the time but Retroarch has some other games not supported by Reicast. As a piece of advice, some popular Dreamcast games (Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs Snk 2, Crazy Taxi) have PS2 releases which run in Orbis really well when converted to a PKG. Some also have arcade releases which run much better in things like MAME (Mars Matrix and basically any other shmup, Garou and any other 2D fighter not already listed) and you are better off finding other methods. Things like 3rd Strike have native PS4 releases things like Anniversary Collection.

Gamecube and Wii aren't great either but I'm not sure of the specifics because I've never tested them. (I just use a Wii and a Gamecube controller for those)

Im using USB keyboard and mouse. Like I said, works perfectly until first reboot then it stop working. I was using the Fedora 32 but for some reason after the initial reboot cant do anything else. Gonna format and try again.

bbqtool

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Im using USB keyboard and mouse. Like I said, works perfectly until first reboot then it stop working. I was using the Fedora 32 but for some reason after the initial reboot cant do anything else. Gonna format and try again.

I haven't myself tried this yet, but rather than reinstall Fedora maybe install this?

slackery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:
Well after multiple attempts now is impossible for me to even type exec command because my keyboard goes off and kernel panic the system. Was the very same keyboard used before so I dont know why is doing it so I order a cheap keyboard and check what happen.

bbqtool

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
UPDATE:
Well after multiple attempts now is impossible for me to even type exec command because my keyboard goes off and kernel panic the system. Was the very same keyboard used before so I dont know why is doing it so I order a cheap keyboard and check what happen.

That is very unfortunate. Just wondering, are you using USB port 2 (right side) and a USB hub to connect your storage+keyboard?

slackery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is very unfortunate. Just wondering, are you using USB port 2 (right side) and a USB hub to connect your storage+keyboard?
Using USB port 2 but not using a hub. Think thats the problem?
Update:
I tried with another USB and it didnt crash so at this point I think the USB drive is the culprit so will clean it and format again add everything and check.

Last edited by slackery,
Reactions: bbqtool

bbqtool

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Using USB port 2 but not using a hub. Think thats the problem?
Update:
I tried with another USB and it didnt crash so at this point I think the USB drive is the culprit so will clean it and format again add everything and check.

Yeah certain USB drives do not work well with PS4 Linux. Just to open up more ports, I would suggest using a USB hub.

https://www.amazon.com.au/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B00P8XQPY4

This is what I am using. Maybe a bit overkill for size but I had one lying around so why not.

hippie68

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a USB 3.0 hub (those cheapest 4-port hubs on eBay) which turned out to work well on Windows 10 but not at all on Linux, and not on the PS4 (both Orbis OS and Linux). Better make sure it says "for Linux" when you are about to buy one.

slackery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah certain USB drives do not work well with PS4 Linux. Just to open up more ports, I would suggest using a USB hub.

https://www.amazon.com.au/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B00P8XQPY4

This is what I am using. Maybe a bit overkill for size but I had one lying around so why not.
Lol thats the USB im using. I actually got able to run (seems a bad cluster or whatever) but same thing. After first boot into ITmania I change the language to english and reboot. After loading the linux payload the USB keyboard stop working and go back into rescueshell which is not suppose to...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I recently bought a USB 3.0 hub (those cheapest 4-port hubs on eBay) which turned out to work well on Windows 10 but not at all on Linux, and not on the PS4 (both Orbis OS and Linux). Better make sure it says "for Linux" when you are about to buy one.
Yea I order the Sabrent 4

slackery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I tried everything and now Im getting a different error... just to be sure can somebody point me out the bzimage and initramfs used for CUH-7015B on 7.55? Thats the PS4 Pro.

Miky289

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi I would like to know the steps to create my Linux image I don't know where to start can someone help me? Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: okies :D put 'em here :O