Hacking Question about new Emunand

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a 4.5 3ds xl and GW device. I have been watching and reading guides about the device, and I have a question about emunand. When I format the emunand in the gateway menu, the meunand is at fw 4.5, how do i update it to 7.1? I know I can't use 7.2 yet, but from what I understand 7.1 still works for shop and online, etc. Is there a way to install 7.1 from a 3ds rom? Does any one have any sugestions?

roxas-89

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
as far as I know you shouldn't update emunand through classic mode using carts ( someone correct me if I'm wrong ) because it will update the system nand. 7.2 works fine and online as well the problem is that it broke the e-shop and settings but if you have the latest updates of the games you want to play online this won't be a problem and also you don't need the settings in anything you can use the system nand to configure your wireless settings.

so unfortunately no there is no way to update to 7.1 now that 7.2 is out ( if you were on 7.1 then updated the emunand to 7.2 reverting back is possible) but someone here updated his system nand to 7.2, downloaded the updates from e-shop then downgraded back using a hardware nand mod ( quite a pain if you ask me ).

So you only have two option either wait for the GW team to fix the issues in 7.2 ( no one knows how long will that take ) or update your emunand to 7.2 you'll be able to play anything you want but no online if you don't have the updates. I'd wait if I were you.

roxas-89

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Forgot to mention if Nintendo decided to release any game updates us 7.1 users are screwed as well :D since we can't access e-shop without updating.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as far as I know you shouldn't update emunand through classic mode using carts ( someone correct me if I'm wrong ) because it will update the system nand.

When I was using 1.2 beta firmware, I used a Luigi Mansion rom to update my 4.1 emunand to 4.5 emunand, cant say if it works with 2.2 firmware. Is there any games with a 7.1 firmware update I could test?

roxas-89

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
When I was using 1.2 beta firmware, I used a Luigi Mansion rom to update my 4.1 emunand to 4.5 emunand, cant say if it works with 2.2 firmware. Is there any games with a 7.1 firmware update I could test?

it could work I suppose but the problem is it is not confirmed or documented anywhere that using a cart to update emunand will actually update it all I see are people telling not to. as for games that require 7.x firmware I haven't seen one till now even kirby only requires 6.2

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked here, http://3ds.essh.co/, and found that the new Yoshi game requires 7.1, but I could not get the rom to update my 4.1 emunand, maybe the update was removed from the rom, or maybe 2.2 firmware doesn't read the update.

roxas-89

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I looked here, http://3ds.essh.co/, and found that the new Yoshi game requires 7.1, but I could not get the rom to update my 4.1 emunand, maybe the update was removed from the rom, or maybe 2.2 firmware doesn't read the update.

oh yeah forgot about Yoshi :D ,,, also I don't know about rom updating I was talking about carts in classic mode.

Edit: it appears that there are other games as well besides Yoshi's that require 7.1

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, I wouldn't trust to update the emunand with a retail cart (with 4.5+ firmware). But when you go into retail mode the miiverse icon in the upper right corner is displayed, therefore emunand is being used and can probably be updated. I should get my hands on a luigi's mansion cart to see what it updates in gateway retail mode.

roxas-89

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
You're right, I wouldn't trust to update the emunand with a retail cart (with 4.5+ firmware). But when you go into retail mode the miiverse icon in the upper right corner is displayed, therefore emunand is being used and can probably be updated. I should get my hands on a luigi's mansion cart to see what it updates in gateway retail mode.

I was tempted to try something like this as well but my 3DS is on 4.5 system nand already.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was tempted to try something like this as well but my 3DS is on 4.5 system nand already.
Yay for 4.1 emunand, at least it can do something that 4.5 emunand can't do. I can test stupid stuff with it. Maybe it just better to wait for Gateway to support the latest nintendo ofw.

roxas-89

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Yay for 4.1 emunand, at least it can do something that 4.5 emunand can't do. I can test stupid stuff with it. Maybe it just better to wait for Gateway to support the latest nintendo ofw.

That could take a while to happen it was a miracle when they released the omega after such a long wait don't expect another miracle so soon already :D

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I've got a question for Emunand in general:

Base assumption: One can do system transfer in 7.0
(I know 7.1 cannot access system, and system transfer is on latest, but bear with me for now)

Assuming that I have 2 3DS XL, one blue and one red.

Blue is on FW 4.5, and Emunand 7.0.
Red is on FW 7.0, has hardware mod, no previous nand dumps.

If I were to perform a Emunand System Transfer from blue to red,
Would I then be able to downgrade my red using my blue nand dump?

TL;DR:
Refer to image in spoiler:
ruaJKwp.jpg

Edit:
If I can't post any new questions here; considered hijacking etc,
Kindly inform me and/or I'll/help me move my post.

Thanks!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no, a system transfer only transfers eshop purchases etc......it doesn't just convert the whole console into the other one

basically its like i have a nice blue shirt and im carrying bags of shopping, i give you my shopping bags not my shirt, my shirt is only designed for me, it does not fit you.

Reactions: Reecey and Queno138

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
no, a system transfer only transfers eshop purchases etc......it doesn't just convert the whole console into the other one

basically its like i have a nice blue shirt and im carrying bags of shopping, i give you my shopping bags not my shirt, my shirt is only designed for me, it does not fit you.

Yes Questy, drop it to them raw with the shirt conclusion! You do make my day with your theories :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated