question about hard drive enclosures

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by kaitlin459, May 23, 2013.

1. kaitlin459
    OP

kaitlin459 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    United States
    hello is it possible for me to buy an empty USB ide hard drive enclosure off amazon or newegg.com then put an ide hard drive in it then use it to run backups via usb my 32 gig flash drive isnbt cutting it for my legit backup and i cant afford to but a usb hard drive so it seems like an enclosure plus a spare hard drive i already own would work is this possible

2. Katsumi San

Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2012
    Kyoto
    HDE Harddrive enclosure <- It should work this. I remember friend buy this and is come with necessary tools. I know it is work fine for SATA HDD...

edit: Sorry.. here you go this one

3. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    I use a spare SATA drive with a HDD case with USB on my Wii for ages, works just like every other drive. There seem to be compatibility issues with some USB drives, but I am not sure if empty enclosures are on the compatibility list. I bought the cheapest one I found that also has a eSATA port to transfer files from my PC more quickly, never had any problems. I could post the model here, but I don't think you'll get it in the US.
    I never bought a complete external HDD, all external drives I have were cases bought empty with a HDD I had lying around anyway or got cheap from a friend.

4. kumpandjill

kumpandjill GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    United States
    yeah there's really no reason to go all out on one. they don't really do much in terms of hardware.

5. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Sorry to bumb this thread , figured i didnt need a new post for this.

I just dug out my 160 gig HDD from my old lappy , gona get a case for it . But i cant recall if its preffered to have a seperate power source for the HDD or is USB power fine for wii backup useage ?

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    From your laptop right? A USB 2.0 enclosure will definitely work, bus powered (no AC adapter) or self powered (AC adapter). USB 3.0 enclosure on the other hand might need a Y cable since some manufacturers decided to take advantage of increased power requirement USB 3.0 has to offered.

7. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    i have no call for USB 3 , only USB2 i have ordered an enclosure that has and optional power inlet (wether they all do or not i dunno) , my main issue do i need the power adaptor or will the wii amply supply my HDD for backup play ?

8. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    I would plan for a external power source, it's better that way. External HDDs without a additional power supply a fickle things, work on some PCs and others not. And on some Wiis and others not.

9. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    +1
    I used a usb powered drive for awhile and then it randomly stopped working with the wii, Ycable fixed it, but then it didn't, and now it works with one USB again. Weird. It always works connected to computer and it hasn't had any issues once the wii see it the first time (don't cut out mid game or cause those issues)