ROM Hack Question about future of Slot 1's

Sigma83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been reading alot about the hardware/homebrew released for the DS and I'm trying to understand the advantages of slot-1 cards. Can someone explain to me why a supercard lite and a superkey is not more desireable than a supercard ds one?

I currently own the DS One, but am starting to realize there are limitations. The sram is required for DSLinux, DS Browser, txtwriter, DS Simon, and plenty other homebrew of which I am unable to take advantage of. So what's the advantage of the slot - 1?

And is a Supercard DS One + Superkey Lite > supercard lite + superkey?

Thanks!

Sigma

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty new to the homebrew scene, so forgive me if I'm way off base here. But I think that the simple reason that slot 1 solutions are all encompassing, cheap solutions for people who want to run close to 100 percent of everything possible on their DS, they're here to stay.

You did mention some examples that don't run without the slot 2 ram, but I see those as being neglegable. Especially considering that if you really do want to run them, you can always just purchase for slot 2 and then use your slot 1 as a passme.

Plus, since I really do think that slot 1's are going to become more popular, I'm really planning on development for them going places. I'm talking GBA emulators for nds just because there's going to be enough people who want to run GBA games with their slot 1 device.

I mean, look at how fast hombrew support for slot 1s has taken off. The inability to use almost any homebrew was one of the few things that sucked about slot 1s at their outset, but within a month, dldi support was released, which fixed that problem pretty well.

I don't know. I'm probably just talking out of my ass for the most part, but I really see slot 1s becoming the norm due to their simplicity, cost, and effectiveness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD