Question about Dslibris

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by smashbro, Jun 5, 2009.

Jun 5, 2009

Question about Dslibris by smashbro at 7:07 AM (1,398 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. smashbro
    OP

Member smashbro GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was wondering if there is a way to read Japanese.? I want to learn it from my Ds instead of in the book I own and some of the e-books I own. I use DSTT.

2. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Yes.

There's a quick first attempt at a guide here:

http://moonbooks.info/download/homebrew/ap...ion/dslibris-13

Dslibris uses True Type Fonts to render text, so you will need a true type font that supports japanese text in unicode 8 format. Most of apple's free japanese fonts will do this, so would other platforms I'm sure, especially e-readers. I believe the default font file that comes with dslibris does not support japanese text out of the box. Throughout its development this file has changed so it may now or will in the future. Nothing is stopping you sourcing your own though.

A point of interest related to that, in the guide there is mention of difficulty making the font change 'stick', to avoid changing font every single damn time via settings, just find a good font with everything in it you need, and RENAME it to dslibris' default font (the variations of Liberation) and dump it in the font folder that dslibris uses.

While I don't read japanese myself, changing the font is the first thing I do whenever a new version comes out. I love the slightly serif monospaced font 'Georgia' popular on some ebook readers. But its not free so it can't be distributed with dslibris.

3. smashbro
    OP

United States
    I have the books in pdf but i don't know how to get them to xhtml or any format for dslibris.

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Open the pdf and copy and paste? Lol That should work, but probably wouldn't be the best option.

Try this site. Select "Portable Document Format (.pdf)" as input format and "XHTML (.xhtml)" as output format. Haven't actually tried it myself, but should work good.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot the site address. Here it is:
    http://media-convert.com/

5. smashbro
    OP

United States
    see the problum with cut and paste is that my computer doesn't have the right Japanese font for the conversion to word. which is surprising to me cause i have 2007 but w.e. And the site doesn't convert to pdf straight to xhtml and i tried them and it didn't work. I thank you for the help [​IMG].