Question about cIOS 202

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Leo Alves, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Leo Alves
    OP

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    So I was upset by Wiixplorer work so slow with my HDD ...

But I read that to ensure the best transfer speed I should install cIOS 202.

So, I downloaded the cIOS 202 by modmii, put on the sd card, open the multi-mod manager, selected to use cIOS 236 and installed cIOS 202 with base 60

my questions are:
    1 - All the tutorials ask to remove the GC pad and the GameCube memory card before installing any IOS. The problem is that I forgot about it, and I ended up installing cIOS 202 even with the Memory Card and GameCube controller connected to the Wii. This may cause me problems? Why is it necessary to disconnect them anyway?

2 - Besides Wiixplorer, some other application still uses cIOS 202?

here is my syscheck just in case:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    That may or may not be true. Test it out and compare speeds. You could also try a different base, like 57 or 38 if you don't see a significant improvement.

Make sure you change the setting in WiiXplorer to use IOS202.

That hasn't been true for a long time. If I remember correctly, having a GC controller or memory card used to crash cIOS installers.

MPlayer CE is the only one that comes to mind. Most things have dropped support for 202, which I think is a mistake. It's far better to support 202 AND 58. HDD's have different compatibility. Some work better with IOS202 (and different bases for 202) and others work better with IOS58. The only way you will find out is by trying things out.

For example, videos on one of my HDD's stutter if I use IOS58, but IOS202 plays smoothly. All my drives work better with 202 than they do IOS58, but to differing degrees. Others have reported the opposite. They have problems using 202 (of one or all base), but IOS58 works great.

Leo Alves likes this.
  3. Leo Alves
    OP

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    Thanks! everything is ok, then I will not worry

i tested ios 36, ios 222, ios 58 and cios 202 , transfering big files from SD to HDD

ios 36 = really slow, almost 150 kb/s transfer speed
    ios 58 = normal, almost 2000 kb/s
    cIOS 202 = fast, almost 2900 kb/s
    cIOS 222 = shutdown my HDD !

also, this is another question i forgot to ask, but about cIOS 222:
    Everytime i use Syscheck to scan my ios, my HDD turn off when cIOS 222 is read, this also happened now when i tried to start Wiixplorer with this cIOS, is this normal ?

this does not happen on usb loaders, when i try to load a game with cIOS 222

4. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    That's very odd. You could try re-installing it. It's meant for loading games though, as opposed to 202, which is only for media. So long as it works for games, it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I'm glad that 202 is working for you. I really wish so many apps hadn't switched to IOS58, but Team Twiizers threatened to remove anything from Wiibrew that kept using a cIOS.
    http://hackmii.com/2010/08/the-usb2-release/

There's a bunch of complete BS in there about how it's "ugly" and "dangerous", but none of it is true. 202 can't even be used for loading warez, despite his statement that it's the main purpose.

Leo Alves likes this.