Question about acekard 2i on 3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Yo_D, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Yo_D
    OP

Yo_D Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2011
    United States
    I just got my acekard 2i but I am still waiting on my 32gb microsd card. I just heard you need acess to a DSi or DS lite in order to use the acekard 2i on your 3DS. It has to do something with updating the firmware. Is this true? All I want to do for now is have the ability to play NDS roms on the 3DS. Nothing fancy like homebrew yet.

I don't own any other DS. The closest city is 40 miles away from me and I don't feel like purchasing another DS to get this to work. I will if I have to.

2. s4mid4re

s4mid4re  

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Yes, you'll need to update your ak2i's bootrom in order to make it load on the latest dsi/3ds firmware. The dsi/3ds can block flashcarts, but ds phat/lite can't, so the safest way to update is to do so on a phat/lite. Most flashcarts are built for piracy to load backups, so no problem there. Homebrew's aren't that 'fancy' either; they load just like any other game, unless they need a dldi patch (which most don't) ;)

Whether your ak2i will work on a 3ds or not depends on the 3ds' firmware. If it's one of the recent ones/the latest one, your ak2i will most likely not load on it. Thus, you'll have to get access to another system, preferably a ds phat/lite. If it's an old firmware, your ak2i will most likely work without problems. If it does work without updating, I recommend you update to the latest, just in case you feel like updating.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Well it depends on if the site you bought it from had pre-updated the firmware on your card. To check, you can put your Acekard into your 3DS and check and see if a "Chessmasters" icon shows up in the game selection slot square thing. If it does, then you do not need to update your card. If it doesn't, well...you would need a DS/DS lite in order to apply the update you can download from http://www.acekard.com

If the card doesn't have the latest update then what I suggest is try finding either A.) A cheap DS/Lite online. or B.) Send someone who has a DS/Lite your acekard and have them update it for you.

4. Yo_D
    OP

Yo_D Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2011
    United States
    Alright I'll look for the cheapest DS there is. I found a ds lite for 56 dollars. Hopefully I Can find a phat cheaper. Thanks for the info :)