Hacking Question about 4.2

brento

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. My best friend has a Wii that he would like to softmod for the first time. The problem is, he is using firmware 4.2U.
Is it possible to softmod a Wii using 4.2U at the present time? If so, what method should we use?

Thanks
smile.gif

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
In addition to the above post, you might need to delete some "stub" IOSes the 4.2 update gave.

If IOS222, IOS223, and IOS249 are reported to be version 65280, they might require deletion prior to installing the usual suspects.

kaneda09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
In addition to the above post, you might need to delete some "stub" IOSes the 4.2 update gave.

If IOS222, IOS223, and IOS249 are reported to be version 65280, they might require deletion prior to installing the usual suspects.

How do you delete these IOses? I got homebrew channel loaded through the Indiana pwns, but i cant seem to fix any IOSes. Can you direct me to any tutorials that can help? Trying to get neogamma r8 up in it as soon as i can fix these darn issues. Thanks

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:

Without one trucha'd IOS, you cannot install any of them. Does cboot2 work for reinstalling a cIOS?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
cboot2 should work if one has BootMii (boot2 or IOS) installed and functioning.

One the Trucha bug has been restored to any IOS, the stubs could be deleted. Make sure you are deleting stubs, NOT functioning IOSes! The stubs you want to delete are labeled version 65280.

Note: If you had cIOS rev10 or higher installed prior to updating to 4.2, IOS250 is probably a functioning IOS with the Trucha bug.

kaneda09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this wii was updated from 3.3u to 4.2. So it did not have homebrew or anything else at the time. I used the Indiana Pwns to get the homebrew channel. I don't know how to proceed from here to fix the ISOes. What do i need to be doing next? Thanks

Narolez

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zektor said:
Dialexio said:

Without one trucha'd IOS, you cannot install any of them. Does cboot2 work for reinstalling a cIOS?
With cboot2 and the "included" WAD-Manager you can install wads without any problems.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narolez said:
zektor said:
Dialexio said:

With cboot2 and the "included" WAD-Manager you can install wads without any problems.
right, so you should use this to uninstall the stub cIOS 222,223,249,250

and then use cboot2 to install cios rev 14 to get 249 and 250 back.

then use the cIOS 249 to get the trucha back in.

Narolez

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For interested people, an illustration how cboot2 works:

QUOTE said:
1. Copy SD "/startup.elf" to NAND "/tmp/cboot2/ppcboot.elf".
2. Search for an IOS starting with IOS36 and going down to IOS3.
3. It will patch the kernel of the IOS to include the sign bug and
will add the abilty to remove an installed IOS.
4. The patched kernel will be written to MEM2 RAM.
5. Start file "/tmp/cboot2/ppcboot.elf" from NAND on Broadway.
6. Start IOS on Starlet.
7. Broadway will then load the file "boot.dol" from SD and start it.
8. In this example the wad manager is started. The file is patched to
not load a different IOS. All executables need such a patch. Or you
will miss the main feature this package.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021