Quantic Dream reveals Star Wars Eclipse

After being heavily rumored, it has been confirmed that the Detroit: Become Human and Heavy Rain developers are working on a Star Wars games. It's called Star Wars: Eclipse, and takes place 200 years before the prequel movie era. While Quantic Dream is known for making story-heavy games, this is going to be a little different, and will incorporate more action elements than their past titles.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know whether you're being disingenuous, or if you're flat out refusing to study the subject matter before entering a debate.
I know the subject matter well enough to know that when anything vaguely contentious is introduced into the IP it's not long before there's a ton of technobabble conceived to 'make' it work... as is the case for everything you mentioned above. I was just (over) simplifying basic physics to make the point that Star Wars is full of stuff that just doesn't work (unless it's backed up with a ton of after-the-fact lore... which usually arises from taking the whole thing far too seriously, rather than just accepting this wonderful fantasy universe for what it is and just enjoying the stories and spectacle).
As for it being the High Republic that introduced this specific implementation of lightsabers; you're wrong, it definitely featured in the animated shows and possibly EU/Legends (although my memory's a little foggy on most of that stuff as I've not re-read most of it for at least a decade but I thought Luke did something similar in the Thrawn trilogy).

A friend of mine hates that it turns out Maul didn't die in TPM, but I have no problem with it as it doesn't affect any of the story in a detrimental way, and the reintroduction and subsequent story lines are done extremely well... bringing back Palpatine however is a different matter entirely.
Sliding down a wall using a lightsaber to slow your descent is trivial by comparisson.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the subject matter well enough to know that when anything vaguely contentious is introduced into the IP it's not long before there's a ton of technobabble conceived to 'make' it work... as is the case for everything you mentioned above. I was just (over) simplifying basic physics to make the point that Star Wars is full of stuff that just doesn't work (unless it's backed up with a ton of after-the-fact lore... which usually arises from taking the whole thing far too seriously, rather than just accepting this wonderful fantasy universe for what it is and just enjoying the stories and spectacle).
As for it being the High Republic that introduced this specific implementation of lightsabers; you're wrong, it definitely featured in the animated shows and possibly EU/Legends (although my memory's a little foggy on most of that stuff as I've not re-read most of it for at least a decade but I thought Luke did something similar in the Thrawn trilogy).

A friend of mine hates that it turns out Maul didn't die in TPM, but I have no problem with it as it doesn't affect any of the story in a detrimental way, and the reintroduction and subsequent story lines are done extremely well... bringing back Palpatine however is a different matter entirely.
Sliding down a wall using a lightsaber to slow your descent is trivial by comparisson.
" it's not long before there's a ton of technobabble conceived to 'make' it work"

I honestly stopped reading here. If you think that plasma and magnetic fields are technobabble, bruh, do I got some real life technology to sell you.

You've proven your whole argument base is disingenuous just by that sentence alone. While Star Wars is not perfectly aligned with reality, it does use plenty of real-life technology or theory as a basis for most of the tech that occurs within the Star Wars universe. I suggest you take a hard long look at the actual research before you come into an argument spouting what you view are facts, when none of those facts align neither with reality - or the subject matter which ALIGNS with reality.

I won't bother replying any more. You're either disingenuous, or a troll. I'm leaning the former as you're attempting to reason... by not accepting any reality but your own without providing ANY evidence for what you say, and when evidence is put against you you ignore it or pass it off as 'technobabble' or anything else.

I wish you a happy holiday, Scrooge.

• Haha
Reactions: duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
'Technobabble' originated with episodes of Star Trek where there would be cues to "insert technobabble" in the script where the episode required believable dialogue based upon the science/utility of the future tech that specific staff writers would fulfill. And unlike Star Wars, Star Trek was quite a bit more scientifically accurate (many real world technological advancements were envisioned within ST's many episodes). The term often gets wrongly attributed as being 'nonsense speak', but is generally well written jargon that contains enough 'real world' science so as to seem plausible. 'Technobabble' isn't shorthand for scientific ignorance, it just signifies a requirement to fill in the scientific/technological gaps that the writers originally left out.
Star Treks 'technobabble' was actually written into the show, whereas most of it in Star Wars is after-the-fact and generally a cannonization of adopted fan theories. Virtually none of the 'reality aligned' science in Star Wars is there at the writing phase. It comes much later in EU stuff, or the many guidebooks that are published later. The mechanics of how any thing works in the world of Star Wars is deliberately left vague at best and mostly non-existant (and I'm specifically talking about the movies, animation and TV shows - the novels and comics do occassionally give a touch of depth). It's only suplemental material, fan theories and headcannon that provide any substantial explanation to 'how things work'.
Just wait, one will exist to make any current and future use of lightsabers as cannon as Wookie Life Day!

I'm neither disingenuous or a troll, and I am a much bigger fan of Star Wars than I am of Star Trek, despite how the above may come across! I've just learned that I appreciate Star Wars more if it's not taken too seriously. I like the fact that you can be a fan of the same IP as me and yet we can debate how our interactions with it differ. Like the fact that you seem to only accept the nonsense of the franchise if/when an unconnected writer specifies the problematic mechanics of a story told by someone else enabling it to make a reality aligned sense to you, whereas I just want to get swept away by a fantastical journey into a realm that's undecipherable from our own.
I don't care about how plausible the science of a make believe world that's populated with aliens and magic is, but break the main story of the franchise by bringing back a character whose death was central to the arc of the major characters of the first two trilogies and I'll be pissed.

...and it's fine by me if you don't want to acknowledge the other times I pointed out, pre-High Republic, that lightsabers were used in a similar fashion because it doesn't sit well with your unmoveable view of everything High Republic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: its the emote but ridiculously small