Quality shell replacement?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 3DPiper, May 5, 2009.

1. 3DPiper
    OP

3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    Are there any shell replacements that are good quality? The same (or better!) quality as an official NDS Lite?

I ordered a red/blue combo awhile back, but the hinge broke on it about a week after I installed it..

I have a working NDS Lite for my daughter, and don't want to have to buy new if I can just get a quality shell..

Thanks,

-Matthew

2. Joey90

Joey90 Not around any more

Apr 21, 2007
    UK
    GBAtemp did a review of replacement cases a while ago have a look at it.

You can either go to dealextreme, where there are a whole load of different cases some better than others but all fairly cheap, or you can go somewhere else which will be more expensive, though you may possibly find a better one.

Installation skill and treatment of the DS will probably have a significant impact on the lifetime of the case, just as much as the case itself. I have a transparent blue one from DX that has lasted a year without trouble.

3. Tokiopop

Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

Apr 14, 2009
    UK
    I'm thinking of getting that exact same one. How is it overall? Any problems or issues, such as stiff volume slider? And do they include a matching GBA dust cover?

4. 3DPiper
    OP

3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    Thanks guys..

I read the reviews, very informative.. I think I ordered the 'SHOCK!' case and was very dissapointed..

I'm looking at this dealer on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Repla...%3A1%7C294%3A50

He has 3 or 4 cases that are dual-injected with the crystal clear outer layer (I like how he says "Look at the details in this housing! LOOK AT IT!").. I may mix and match, get a ultra-high quality green for the outside and yellow for the inside..

-Matthew

5. mayhem366

mayhem366 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2008
    UK
    I am this very minute about to replace my green one, i was very disappointed with the colour when i opened the box up after buying it.

Now i've opted for a clear blue from DealExtreme like Joey, hoping that i'm not gonna screw it up [​IMG]

6. Joey90

Joey90 Not around any more

Apr 21, 2007
    UK
    (Thread Hijack)

The clear blue one I got (a year ago) did not have matching screen covers (But it did come with white ones), so I have a white borders round my screens and I kept my white buttons which makes it look pretty cool... However there were several complaints on DX so they may have changed it by now.

Also the volume slider is a bit stiffer than normal and the stylus that it came with will probably tear your screens apart (although it is matching blue...) unless you carefully sand it or something.