Quake II Remastered to be released today alongside the start of QuakeCon 2023

2023831846514_1.png

For quite some time now, there's been rumours surrounding a possible remastered release of the highly acclaimed sequel to the original Lovecraft-ian FPS, Quake II.

The rumour has been going on for months, only to be fueled further by what seemed to be a rating board mistake from South Korea, rating Quake II Remastered back in June, and several other leakers in the industry claiming that the title was set to be announced in QuakeCon 2023. French site Dealabs and its reporter billbil-kun has reported today that indeed Quake II Remastered will be coming with an August release date, and that said release date will actually be today, August 10th, right at the start of QuakeCon 2023, which is set to take place from August 10th to August 13th.

The Remaster will apparently be available for multiple systems, counting PC, PlayStation 4 & 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X and Nintendo Switch as well, and the price tag according to the rumour will be of $10 USD, coinciding with the price tag for the Quake 1 Remaster released a couple years ago, back in 2021.

We're just a few hours away from QuakeCon 2023 starting, so it's only a matter of hours to find out.

:arrow: Source

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Oh my shamblers
Both expansions, a new expansion AND QUAKE II 64???
Knowing Nightdive, we might get add-ons later(Hoping for Zaero!).
Protip: Play the game with Texture smoothing turned off.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
"Remastered"
>adds modern higher screen resolutions
>Adds ray-tracing
>Everything else stays the same :rolleyes:
Post automatically merged:

For those who have played it, is it a better remaster than Quake II RTX?
Honestly, that's all I was expecting.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"Remastered"
>adds modern higher screen resolutions
>Adds ray-tracing
>Everything else stays the same :rolleyes:
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, that's all I was expecting.
guess you dont know nightdive studios work

Also a remaster doesnt chnage the graphics it only improves image quality and performance, if you wanted an graphic overlay of the entire game you wanted a remake instead xD

they may seem they dont change much but they do, look at this video they are very through to make the game look classic but get the vest look in standard screen resolutions.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Quake II is on sale I'll buy it. Such good memories I have of it.

Cool to get a remaster even though my computer can't run it. 😆

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't even completed all the campaigns of Quake 1 yet, but I had a ton of fun on it
I know some people say Quake 2 is kinda « worse » in the sense that it lacks some identity since the departure of Romero at the time, but it's still a great game nonetheless

I'm more of an Unreal-guy, but I wish Sweeney had actually some respect for his own previous work.

When you think about it, it's very funny how both franchises used to be competitors and somewhat similar, now they are absolute opposites. Quake is releasing really great remasters for a very low price (it's even on the gamepass, I didn't understand why it labeled as a « new release » on the Xbox App before seeing this news), but Epic is removing all the Unreal games on all stores like they never existed. F Sweeney fr

• Sad
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't even completed all the campaigns of Quake 1 yet, but I had a ton of fun on it
I know some people say Quake 2 is kinda « worse » in the sense that it lacks some identity since the departure of Romero at the time, but it's still a great game nonetheless

I'm more of an Unreal-guy, but I wish Sweeney had actually some respect for his own previous work.

When you think about it, it's very funny how both franchises used to be competitors and somewhat similar, now they are absolute opposites. Quake is releasing really great remasters for a very low price (it's even on the gamepass, I didn't understand why it labeled as a « new release » on the Xbox App before seeing this news), but Epic is removing all the Unreal games on all stores like they never existed. F Sweeney fr
One of my faves is UT2 on Xbox.

41WM4FGXBVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Being physical it can't get removed. :)

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUAKE 2 REMASTERED
AND THE SOUNDTRACK
AND THE MISSION PACKS
AND THE DISRUPTOR FROM GROUND ZERO
AND NEW MOVES FOR THE ENEMIES
AND THE N64 MAPS
AND A NEW MISSION PACK
AND SPLITSCREEN
AND THE FREAKIN' SOURCE CODE

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
On GoG (at least in my library) it's Quake II (Original) and just Quake II
Just like Those underwater fps games in the city of Rapture that I can't remember the name of. They have normal and remastered versions on steam. Sadly tho, some of the graphical improvements on the remaster actually look worse in a few spots. 💀

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
One of my faves is UT2 on Xbox.

41WM4FGXBVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Being physical it can't get removed. :)
I've tried it on Xemu, still not running perfectly and the controler controls are pretty hard to get used to, but I liked the few story elements about some characters like Lauren and the gameplay seemed actually great. Wish it got ported on PC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto