UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
=O
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Q2Rev

The game is fully playable, the Wii pointer controls are a little rough, as you need keep pressed A to point =(

GCN controller compatible YAY!, plays a lot better IMO.

Q2Rev

Code:
A port of the original id Tech 2 engine (Quake II) to the Nintendo Wii, compiled using devkitPPC / libogc. 
Release 1

The engine is almost feature-complete, with sound & network play. The only missing functionality is the CTF (capture-the-flag) module that was added later into the engine.

All of the improvements applied to Q1Rev Release 2 were included in Q2Rev. These include the following:
Improved Wii Remote handling (since Q1Rev Release 1). More stable, and more sensitive. A small wrist movement goes a long way. Adjust the sensitivity level with the new "Wii Remote speed" option, next to "Mouse speed" in Options in the Main Menu. 
New On-Screen Keyboard, with access to most (if not all) keys of the US keyboard. 
Support for the standard Gamecube controller. 
Switching to "big stack" in key points in the code, allow for more stable, more smooth movement in the engine. 
The engine can be started from either the SD card slot in front of the Wii, or an USB memory stick plugged in any of the USB ports in the back of the console (an improvement since Q1Rev R1). 
Experimental, untested support for USB keyboard & mouse.

EDIT There's already a topic about it, heh, anyway, it should start from a fresh one, since the other one was a concept proof.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had the chance to give it a try last night, and for the most part, I was fairly impressed!
The game looks great, runs smoothly, and seemed fairly customizable for the controls.
QUOTE said:
The game is fully playable, the Wii pointer controls are a little rough, as you need keep pressed A to point =(
GCN controller compatible YAY!, plays a lot better IMO.
I have to agree with this statement however... I didn't play with the GC controller (nor will I). But the wiimote controls seem a bit strange, with the whole "Hold A to Look" thing. Its the first FPS (port or otherwise) on the Wii that doesn't just take remote movements as mlook, but instead wants you to hold a key to make it work. If this issue was fixed, the game would be completely playable to me. I am especially looking forward to the multiplayer aspect.

I also noticed music was missing. I am hoping that MP3 support is built into the next version, so that the few of us with actual Q2 discs laying around could rip our music and play them on the Wii.

Overall, a great port of the game, I am very happy Quake 2 is here, however I am eagerly awaiting an updated version with playable controls.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Possibly its just a bug with porting the game. As its old it may use the old "Press a key to do mouselook" thing so they just haven't set that to on by default yet.

amars464

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tested it out yet (thinking about doing it today), but QWRev seems a lot more impressive to me. It's a port of the QuakeWorld client for the Wii. It supports Q1Rev and Q2Rev, has full network support, and can download maps. If it plays well, then this is a must have for Quake owners who have a Wii.
Source and Download:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16912

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
How does QWrev support Quake2?, I thought that QuakeWorld was just an update of the first one, with better online handling.

Anyway, with Q2rev there's not servers availables, maybe I'm doing something wrong... someone get to play online matches?

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From my knowledge, QuakeWorld was the 'epic' application that took Quake 1 from LAN play to the internet. As far as I know, it only supports q1, and its main purpose is to facilitate easy access to online capabilities of the Q1 engine...

QUOTE said:
Possibly its just a bug with porting the game. As its old it may use the old "Press a key to do mouselook" thing so they just haven't set that to on by default yet.
I've been in contact with the creator, and this is not the case. He felt that this was the best way he felt comfortable playing the game, and its the method he did like best. He did indicate to me that others like myself would prefer the mlook to be automatic, and was looking at implementing it in a future version. This is the one thing holding me back from actually stating to play the game with any seriousness. At this point I've just been tweaking controls and trying them out, but without the proper mlook, I can't get into it.

He also mentioned to me that he was looking at adding 'modification' support, so the potential is there for Lithium matches sometime in the future. No indication on when to expect another version.

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
has anyone had success getting Q2Rev (Quake 2) running on the wii, With Music?
i wanna know what the \cdtracks folder is supposed to look like, the guide on wiibrew for Q2Rev isn't very clear. i just have "Track 02.ogg" through "Track 21.ogg" but i dont know what the tracks are or if they are in "alphabetical order"
and for that matter, has anyon had luck rebinding controls in Quake 2 without losing the menu functionality for the rebound buttons? E.g., if i try to rebind something to GCN A, then the A button no longer works on the menu. If i do the same for the 1 button on the wiimote, i then further lose the ability to pick menu options at all as far as i can tell.

Also, why can't i bind the Gamecube Y, X, or Z buttons to anything?

Last edited by chrondelta,
Reactions: Tarmfot

T1tanUranu5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To clarify, have you tried the music and were unable to get it it working? I ask because your tracks are properly named. QRev, Q2Rev, and QuakeGX use the same setup as TyrQuake. Check the Libretro Wiki or any of the Pi OS wikis. Retropie, Batocera, Recalbox . . . etc

T1tanUranu5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No GC controller, but wii classic mapped fine. Nunchuck gives you pointer aim + stick movement. You may need to manually edit the cfg for GC. Possibly due to the right stick being recognized as a multidirectional "C" button rather than an axis. Try the VC Test app from homebrew browser/wiibrew and make note of each input's parameter then match to the desired action in the Quake.cfg.

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
I might just try manually editing config.cfg to reach a desired control setup for GameCube. For some reason, Quake II just wasn't recognizing Y, X, or Z (and yes i tested them in VC Test).

As for the music, when i started the first level, it just wasn't playing at all? TBH i've never played Quake II, but i'm assuming the opening level would have music? if i have the tracks in the right directory with the right names ("Track 02.ogg" through "Track 21.off" right?) then i'm not sure why the music isn't playing... NOTE HOWEVER, i am playing these games via the Wiiflow PLugins Pack, not just standalone apps. https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-great-quest-for-wiiflow-plugins-tm-a-call-for-adventurers.563575/ for reference.

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
Okay so i'm having a problem, Rogue and Baseq2 run just fine, but Xatrix... well, when i try to play xatrix, it hangs after the opening cutscene and before the first level loads. Either it hangs on the loading screen, or it might just crash? Is that a known issue?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1