[Q] System Transfer between different regions (eshop downloads)

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by lambstone, Dec 18, 2013.

1. lambstone
    OP

lambstone No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    So, I have a PAL (EUR/AU) 3DS XL console with some eshop purchases.

I understand that when you perform a system transfer, stuff like friends and streetpass data get transfer as well.

As for games, I know that they are transferred as well as I have done it from a 3DS to an XL but they are from the same region.

If let's say that one day I decide to move to US or JPN, obviously it might make more sense for me to sell the old 3DS and get a US/JPN 3DS as I can source the regional games at a cheaper price. What happens to the eshop titles?

I know that you can always redownload eshop titles but what happens if you have transferred to a different region 3ds? Will the titles be transferred over to the new region eshop? This is also confusing with the new NNID which forces you to stick with a single country.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I don't know if it's possible to transfer a different region license.

Nintendo can (technically) disable the license in one region and enable it for the corresponding application in the other region for you to re-download, but some games and applications might be available only in some regions, in their own languages. Transferring the data on a different console using a different/incompatible language can be problematic. Your save files will be incompatible too, as the games will use a different TitleID/encryption (technically again, it's possible to convert all those encrypted file using the new TitleID/key).

3. Snimaster

Snimaster Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    Pinecrest, Florida
    Any update to this? I am importing an EU 3ds and wanted to transfer my NNID and games from my NA 3ds to the new EU 3ds

4. SpongeFreak52

SpongeFreak52 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    You're probably better off waiting for a possible firmware region swap, which has been in the works for at least the standard 3DS.

5. Snimaster

Snimaster Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    Pinecrest, Florida
    really? how is that going? any updates on it?