Hacking [Q] Is it possible to "steal" GW's multirom menu and add it to a CFW?

dela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So a loader homebrew is possible then?
For me, yes, NTR 3.0 runs a patch on the cartridge physical addressing reading romfs on a file in the SD of the console.
presumably after the study of ram and dumping of reversing, we try to load the file in the SD 3ds present in the channel of the cartridge or even take advantage of the services to directly launch the "3ds file" from homebrew.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For me, yes, NTR 3.0 runs a patch on the cartridge physical addressing reading romfs on a file in the SD of the console.
presumably after the study of ram and dumping of reversing, we try to load the file in the SD 3ds present in the channel of the cartridge or even take advantage of the services to directly launch the "3ds file" from homebrew.

Yeah, I was doing a research from that matter, and one possible and easiest way was to create a partition on the SD to emulate a gateway card.. of course, that would require non-user friendly methods and RE gateway code.

I was so dumb to don't see ther is a chance to give a shot to your method, still a lot of work tho.

dela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, I was doing a research from that matter, and one possible and easiest way was to create a partition on the SD to emulate a gateway card.. of course, that would require non-user friendly methods and RE gateway code.

I was so dumb to don't see ther is a chance to give a shot to your method, still a lot of work tho.
Perform a patch for the emulated gateway red would be counter-productive in the long run.
We should do all in an open source, many are already present is only designed and adapted for the purpose, so there can always be someone who could be of interest to project correct it and improve it.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perform a patch for the emulated gateway red would be counter-productive in the long run.
We should do all in an open source, many are already present is only designed and adapted for the purpose, so there can always be someone who could be of interest to project correct it and improve it.
Thank you so much for your tidbits of advice. Just the fact that you revealed about NTR 3.0 will serve the scene well in the future. Even if you don't end up coding something for the 3DS, your contribution here should hopefully yield good results in due time.

Reactions: WhoAmI?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've thought about doing this myself, but if it means patching out retail carts just to use GW carts, than no thanks, lol.. would rather use both.
FYI @Bond697's cfw isn't the only one to support the Gateway red card. I seem to recall it being on the feature list of MathewH's too, so it's definitely possible.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
FYI @Bond697's cfw isn't the only one to support the Gateway red card. I seem to recall it being on the feature list of MathewH's too, so it's definitely possible.

;_; All these hidden CFW's that support this 1 feature and yet rxTools doesn't. *Crys like a big fat baby* Hehe. Cereal, I'd buy a Gateway card if this feature was part of rxTools.

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
If it helps anyone who haven't dared to test it themselves how does GW red cart loads a game:

I tried to solder two wires to the GW red cart to keep it provided with constant 3.3V at under 1A, had two consoles of same region, one with GW mode running and other running stock without any mods.

Tried to insert the GW red cart in GW loaded console and loaded a game (of same region as console) from GW menu (with the 3.3V been supplied with wires to the red cart). After loading I quickly moved the red cart to other console which is running on stock but it didn't show up anything (although the voltage across card should be continously 3.3V and working).

In fact even when it had the game loaded on GW loaded console if I try ejecting and reinserting the game disappears and I have to load it again. So that means that GW is running some kind of emulation on the console itself and constantly sending commands to the red cart (which is why a retail card doesn't seem to work as GW is using their custom protocol).

PS. This is a possibility, I may be wrong. Don't quote me on that.

Last edited by Just3DS,

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it helps anyone who haven't dared to test it themselves how does GW red cart loads a game:

I tried to solder two wires to the GW red cart to keep it provided with constant 3.3V at under 1A, had two consoles of same region, one with GW mode running and other running stock without any mods.

Tried to insert the GW red cart in GW loaded console and loaded a game (of same region as console) from GW menu (with the 3.3V been supplied with wires to the red cart). After loading I quickly moved the red cart to other console which is running on stock but it didn't show up anything (although the voltage across card should be continously 3.3V and working).

In fact even when it had the game loaded on GW loaded console if I try ejecting and reinserting the game disappears and I have to load it again. So that means that GW is running some kind of emulation on the console itself and constantly sending commands to the red cart (which is why a retail card doesn't seem to work as GW is using their custom protocol).

PS. This is a possibility, I may be wrong. Don't quote me on that.

I don't think this is a good way to test and confirm GW's feature...

Reactions: Zidapi

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
isn't removing a retail cartridge crashing the game too ?
removing a cartridge while playing is not the way to test if "gateway is running code on the console". It's just that the game is running on the console and crashes when the hardware containing the game's data is removed.

I've read a comment once (don't remember who said that) saying that redirecting game access from cartridge to SD would be easy.
I don't know if it's really easy or possible, but if emulators can load from a file why not the console? there are probably hardware checks (like voltage, eeprom size, etc.) but it can be patched?

Reactions: WhoAmI? and Zidapi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Drug Mule Bot roll out!