[Q] charging 3ds via usb

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tickle.my.pickle, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

tickle.my.pickle GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    where i live , we only have 220v and my 3ds charger is 110v... using step down every time I charge is really annoying...
    so my question is can I just cut the charger port and connect a male usb to the other end then charge??

2. Yamagushi

Yamagushi GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    no...

3. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

May 2, 2013
    United States
    why not??
    i've seen 3ds to usb charging cables... and all they did was connect a male usb port to a 3ds charging port...
    and im no electric guy or something... but the usb 2.0 rating and 3ds rating looks compatible??? to me :D

4. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    It should be fine, power supplies for newer devices are pretty lenient. It'll just charge a bit faster.

5. Yamagushi

Yamagushi GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    Buy a cable. Don't risk it.

Boy12 likes this.
  6. XiTaU

XiTaU GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2008
    United States
    why not just buy a cable and sell ur charger u will make a profit that way as the cables are ~$1

7. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

May 2, 2013
    United States
    where i live finding a cable like that would be a nightmare... so making one is easier option... besides the cable i will be using is an old type 2 usb from hp printer... its thick and sturdy not like those thin 1$ cables... and i love DIY stuff... xD

8. tvoretz

tvoretz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2011
    United States
    If you're comfortable cutting up the cables, there's no reason you couldn't do that instead of grabbing a cable for less than 2.00 USD, shipped. That said, I could have sworn the US charger supported voltages from 110 to 240, with only an adapter required for local plugs, no step down. I'll have to take another look when I get the chance. (Or you can, considering you probably have the charger with you. :P)

9. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

May 2, 2013
    United States
    lol i did it... its charging... hope it doesn't blow up... :D

10. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2011
    France
    Vire, France
    If USB to 3DS cables exist, then yes you can probably do it. But make sure to respect the polarity, otherwhise you may kill the 3DS.

11. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

May 2, 2013
    United States
    nope... i can confirm 110 charger from US ver of 3dsxL doesn't work in 220v... :/

12. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

May 2, 2013
    United States
    w-wh-what polarity??? !!? :wtf: i told you im no tech guy... but if you mean the red wire to red wire??? then yes tahts what i did... :rofl2:

13. tvoretz

tvoretz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2011
    United States
    As long as you didn't cross any wires, you'll be fine. I actually did the same thing (to a USB extensions cable) when the charging block for my PSP Go mysteriously disappeared. The darn thing connects to computers via USB, but won't charge.

14. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2011
    France
    Vire, France
    Yes it's that. If you changed the polarity (Put the red wire on the black one, or if the 3DS charger used cables without standart colors) you might have kill the 3DS. But if the 3DS charger use red/black cables then it's good :)

15. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    This. Anything else is just annoying and overwork imho. I have one of those and I'm fine.

16. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

May 2, 2013
    United States
    the 3ds charger uses red and a striped wire... and if my research is correct usb have 4 wires green and white are data and red and black are power... so what i did is connect the red to red and the naked wire to black wire... :D

17. banjojohn

banjojohn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2007

Never cross the streams, as they say...

18. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2011
    France
    Vire, France
    Yes that what you need to do, so if you isolated the wires correctly then you should be fine :)

19. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

May 2, 2013
    United States
    yay... thanks for the confirmation... i can now charge with peace of mind... :D

20. tickle.my.pickle
    OP

May 2, 2013
    United States
    NEVER!!