Gaming Puzzle FPS

RaulCortez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Puzzle FPS's are a great idea, however, we don't see too much games that involve only puzzle elements, like Portal. I think that Puzzle FPS's could be simple, and at the sime time, very interesting and fun.

So, guys, what's your idea for Puzzle FPS's? Let's share'em!
smileipb2.png

DokiDoki98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Portal would be the ONLY good "puzzle FPS" idea. FPS=first person shooter.

Shooting+puzzle=portal or fail.

A first person puzzle game(like mirror's edge) would PWN however

RaulCortez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's what the thread is for... discussing WHAT could be done. I really think that there must be something else to do with this FPS Puzzle concept. FPS it's a pretty good experience, even more if your're in the middle of a few puzzles. The FPS perspective allows you to percept things that allow you to solve the puzzle, what's not possible in other puzzle games.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The basic formula for a First Person Puzzler is as follows:

Unique Ability + Maze = Win.

If you want examples of this, there is of course Potal:

Portal Gun + Maze = Win.

Or if you want further proof, there's always Mirror's Edge:

Professional Level Ability to Run and Jump + Maze = Win.

Sure, there are probably a lot of people out there who don't enjoy Mirror's Edge, but speaking as a Post-Op on some foot surgery, the game's a lot of fun when running is a challenge ;P

This being said, you basically need to come up with a compelling story for why the person needs to get through said maze. In Mirror's Edge, it was the cops constantly on your tail monitoring your every move. In Portal, it was the simplistic, but expertly pulled off role of a lab test subject which you were forced to assume.

I can't recall the name of the game, but I think the LA Disaster game after a giant earth quake, where you have to make your way through the city, would work well. A disaster in general works well in my opinion. An accident like Black Mesa would be fun to navigate through, albeit without the aliens. Or at least no alien encounters.

Now that I've been rambling for a bit, the first person puzzler I would like to see is one featuring a shape shifter. Similar to the last generation platformer Dr. Muto, it would be interesting if the first person character had a collection of forms, which would work for different situations. A wolf form for speed, a mouse form for getting through tight spaces, etc.

A plot for the game wouldn't be too hard to come up with. To take a page from Legendary or Prince of Persia, the hero could say, open pandora's box, (or a similar concept), unleashing all sorts of beasts and creatures into the world. Being the one who opened the box, he could take the form of all of these creatures wreaking havoc, and it would be his job to retrieve the box and seal them all back inside. (Twist Ending: If you don't change back to human in the last scene you get trapped too ;P).

Well, there's my two or three cents.

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sjones411 said:
I can't recall the name of the game, but I think the LA Disaster game after a giant earth quake, where you have to make your way through the city, would work well. A disaster in general works well in my opinion. An accident like Black Mesa would be fun to navigate through, albeit without the aliens. Or at least no alien encounters.
I think your talking about "I am Alive" and it's Chicago (yay, Chicago....wait) that get's destroyed not L.A. Or was it NYC? No, just checked and it was Chicago.

This ones it right?

Edit: uumm, having trouble getting the vid to work. Can someone help?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Garry's mod perhaps.
For me puzzle games outside of pure puzzles are either "inspired" by tetris or columns or too reminiscent of point and click adventure games.

Still
Penumbra (it is an episodic game). A nice physics engine used in several puzzles with a good story and very atmospheric. Smacks a bit of the point and click but very good. First person and something resembling shooting at some points but not really an FPS.

Psy-ops and Second Sight have some interesting solutions to puzzles that are not necessarily box stacking.
If we are going down that route the dark forces/jedi knight series is worth a look.]

@Foxle it is perhaps not exactly what you want but track down a copy of Soleil/crusader of the centy for the megadrive/genesis (try and find the Euro version if you can).

edit: must remember to read dates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)