Purity Principle

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Wolvenreign, Dec 23, 2010.

Dec 23, 2010

Purity Principle by Wolvenreign at 6:07 PM (669 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Wolvenreign
    OP

Member Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

United States
    Greetings, GBATemp.

I was thinking about motivation in game design recently. Often, it's the sort of thing that separates a game like Call of Duty from a game like Serious Sam or Painkiller. It's what separates the yearly edition of Madden from Bayonetta. Essentially, money against vision. (As you might be aware, the two conflict often, because what is marketable isn't necessarily what is good for design.)

I was also thinking that there might be a way to gauge this sort of thing. A scale from 1-100 (including decimals) weighing design goals against marketing goals.

The Purity Principle, however, can NOT divine whether or not a game was/will be/is good. It is merely a gauge of motivation, an impression based on previews and the legacy of the title they are producing.

Purity Principle scores have to come with a thoroughly thought out article, written as detailed as a preview with each individual design element and motivation carefully considered.

However, some marketing goals can coincide with design goals. When the two do not contradict, the purity level rises. For example, the Serious Sam games are marketed based on their frantic, fun gameplay and solid wave-based design.

What do you all think? I believe careful consideration needs to be given to every aspect of the design goals, as well as varying opinions and purity principle scores given before a metacritic-like final score can be achieved.

2. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Just putting it out there: 1-100 including decimals means an infinite amount of scores. 1-2 including decimals means an infinite amount of scores...

Also, to score something objectively like that, there needs to be objective criterion, where here, the criterion are completely subjective, "How original do I think this is?".

3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I saw purity principle and thought this thread was about people who have a fetish for virgins.

4. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    I to thought this.
    I am disappoint.
    Also,@OP, you were saying that Serious Sam>CoD, right?
    RIGHT?

5. Wolvenreign
    OP

Member Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

United States
    Well, my personal opinion is that FPSs which are based around design goals (Serious Sam) rather than just being in a potentially real setting, i.e. "REAL MEN REAL GUNS GRRR" (Call of Duty) tend to be better, and that is sort of the idea of the purity principle. But I would like to separate the ideas of "my personal opinion", "a review", and "purity principle".

Yes, I do like Serious Sam more than CoD, if you must know.

I'm not going to write a review right now.

Following the ideas of the Purity Principle, Serious Sam is more pure than Call of Duty.

6. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    For that, I have given you an internets.
    Yes, it is better.
    It doesn't try to be something it's not; real.

7. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Also...I'm pretty sure that no one really has an inside look into how things are thought of in an office...

Every developer would say that it was 100% pure, just to get a good score (I don't like the name by the way - what is it pure of? Profitability?)...

Hell, just because developers make something really generic doesn't make it bad on your scale - it's how they got to the genericness....

Terrible idea. It's bad, and you should feel bad.